Leadership may be defined as a position of power held by an individual in a group

kaxy 1 / 3  
Leadership may be defined as a position of power held by an individual in a group, which provides him or her with an opportunity to exercise interpersonal influence on the group. Leadership is the ability to provide direction and motivate others to follow that direction.

Throughout my life I have encountered the chance to experience position of being a leader; I have experience democratic leadership through playing football in high school, basketball and volley ball, and also being part of a family.

While in high school I had the opportunity of been the class coordinator from my junior year to my senior year, I was in charge of making sure teachers come for lectures, and the class room is always clean, and preparing timetable for lectures. I was also privilege to be the social prefect, in that position I coordinated social activities in school such as drama, film show night. I was also the assistant school prefect in my final year in high school, been given the opportunity to control all the affairs in the school. To be a good leader one need to be open to change effective leadership demands that change should be anticipated whether minor or major and respond to these changes properly to all growth to take place.

One of the challenges faced been a leader in my high school was trying to make everybody happy, this was difficult, as a leader some decision you make might not favour everybody but doing the right thing and working with the right people ,great things can be achieved.

Some of the valuable leadership traits I obtained and strengthen are been a good team player, a better listener, to have more patience, to not be afraid of constructive criticism, to be outspoken and to be a problem solver.

I was also the youth chairman in my community, taking up that role was tasking as I was faced with the responsibility of organising youth programmes such as seminars and sport competition once in a year, where every youth in my community is allowed to participate, leading a large number of people is difficult as everyone has different behaviour, motive and views, finding a threshold in decision making and been competent make the difference between a leader and a manager. Being a youth leader in my community helped me to become a better leader because it help me build my patience and been able to tolerate people, I also discovered that been a leader one must be disciplined.

Chevening scholarship offers me a great opportunity for me able to learn more about how I can help the earth and environment by taking masters in sustainability program. And I believe if I can achieve my goal learning about sustainability it will equip me to be able lead and influence the society into positive direction.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Hello and welcome to the EssayForum, Kingsley. We are here to help everyone who is in search for writing assistance.
I found that you wrote a good essay. The thing that I like from your essay is how you define leadership and correlate it with your personal experience. To improve your essay, I have several inputs on your essay as follows, hope you can follow it through:

- ...playing football in high school, basketball,(please put a comma here)andvolley ballvolleyball , and also being part of a family.
- While inDuring my time studying in high school,(a comma is necessary here) I had the opportunity of been thebeing a class coordinator...

- ... making sure teachers come for lectures, and the class roomclassroom is always clean, and preparing the timetable for lectures.
- ... I obtained and strengthen are beenbeing(you repeat the same mistake in your writing, so please replace the other "been" with "being") a good team player,...

- ...because it helps me build my patience,...
- And I believe if I can achieve my goal learning about sustainability, it will equip me to be able to lead and influence the society into positive direction.

Hope this help! Regards.
Hi Kingsley, you know what, I really didn't realize that this is for the Chevening Scholarship until I finished reading the essay, honestly, it looked and felt like an ordinary essay like that of a personal statement which is an extension of an autobiography.

Now, as you know, the Chevening Scholarship is one of the most sought after and prestigious scholarship, therefore, it needs a very strong and straight forward essay.

I must say, your essay is definitely straight forward, you answered what is asked of the prompt and made it known that you are after a position in this elusive scholarship, however, I have a few suggestions for the last paragraph of the essay.

- Chevening scholarship offers me a great opportunity
- the earth and the environment by taking
- masters in this sustainability program. Andand I believe if I can achievein achieving my goal learning about sustainability, it will equip and lead me to be able lead and influence the society into a positive direction.

There you have it Kingsley, I hope the above remarks and insights strengthened your essay and I hope to review your revision soon.
OP kaxy 1 / 3  
thank for the assistance and correction
Hi Kingsley, thank you for appreciating our work here on EF and I can assure you that we will continue to work with you, develop your writing capabilities and show you what else and how else you can be able to hone your writing in order to come up with an even stronger and well constructed essay and writing project.

Moreover, we strive to provide you with constructive and objective feedback that will help you or rather assist you in your future writing projects. Having said that, we would like to remind you that in writing, you need to start with understanding the prompt or the task at hand, wether it be an analysis or something that is of todays topic, you need to understand it in order to write a good essay about it.

Furthermore, you need to review the English language rules and regulations from time to time in order to make sure that you have the right rules to back you up in your writing.

I hope this insights and reminders help you with your future projects and we will be here for you at all times.

Home / Scholarship / Leadership may be defined as a position of power held by an individual in a group