Leadership is a skill that can be developed through life experiences. Essay for Chevening

morenoabe 1 / 1  
Hi everyone,

Please read through my essay draft below, it still exceeded the max words.
Please review,

Leadership and Influence question: Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, use clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer. (max 500 words)

I believe that Leadership is a skill that can be developed through life experiences. Most of the great leaders came up from an ordinary people, yet they enabled to influence others to follow their thought afterwards. Cited by Most popular books, a leader has to have several qualities to become a leader : inspirational, visionary, influencer, motivates others, team builder, and communicates well. Those are some qualities in which can be powerful in leadership field. In order to answer this leadership question, my mind wondered and questioned : Am I inspirational? Or visionary? Am I unafraid to stand up for my ideas? Have I done something for my country? And much more questions lingering inside my head.

Related to the leaders skill, a good leader has to be able to inspire others by showing. To accomplish it, a goodwill and trust must be required. Accordingly, My mind try to match those skill with something that I have done in the real life. By the time of studying in colleges in xxx, in the 2006's the city in which I live for studying was hit by an earthquake. That was a frightening tragedy within my life. The city was devastated, many people died while the others had lost their house. At the time, I encouraged myself to do something and help others. Lead a charity project along with several friends in college, and we build a camp refugees for helping people. It has sharpened my social responsibility ever since.

Most of great leaders are renowned by their influence skill even in the midst of rejection. Their traits are persistance to persuade others to support them, to follow them, to coach them, and to believe in them so that they can work together. This is exactly what I feel when my current employer eventually decided to participate in Tax program (The government programs in taxation). At first, people tend to regard this program as something negative because it only deserve for someone or company which never comply with prevailing taxes. When I brought up this idea in the meeting, most of them refused. However, I finally convinced them that this program will have a beneficial impact for the company's future.

On the one hand, a leader must be able to handle a task and well managed. They are not only a great conceptor but also a terrific implementer. A couple years ago, while I was working in xxx, I was chosen as a chief of a team building event in that company. I started with making a concept and established a small group to share the tasks. The event was a full day activities and the goal was to consolidate the employees so that they could work effectively and better. As such, the company could have a good atmosphere and cooperation within. Those experience has strengthened my confidence to step ahead towards my goal in the future.

On the other hand, to handle a task, it will demand that we have to communicate to others.I consider this thing as my weakness during my professional careers. Thus I need a tool and comprehensive knowledge to enhance my skill to become better. This scholarship will help me to achieve those skill through the best educational system in United Kingdom.
Ruslan55 3 / 12 3  
Hello
You have a great experience, but I have found it only when I started to read your essay the 3rd time as they all are shown too briefly.

I feel like it is too common in the beginning. Imagine yourself reading hundreds of essays and try to understand what parts you will just miss without reading and what parts will make you stop and read carefully.
OP morenoabe 1 / 1  
Hi Ruslan,
thank you for your warm advise. I need much more revise to get this essay done.
Should I focus on the process of my leadership experience and describe more about that experience?
Thank you
Ruslan55 3 / 12 3  
Sorry for the late reply!
Yes, I think you should totally focused on it, as they do not ask you how do you understand leadership or what is it. They wantyou to show clear examples, so you can say what calls you had and how you faced them, how you inspired and led people, even if they refused in the beginning. So better focus on 2-3 detailed examplesfrom your past and give some common idea how you would use leading skill in Chevening Community.

Good luck and hope we can meet next year as Cheveners

Home / Scholarship / Leadership is a skill that can be developed through life experiences. Essay for Chevening