Leadership skills would take you where you want to reach, Chevening leadership essay

Sam11 1 / -  

actions speak louder than words

If your actions inspire people to do more, learn more and become more, You are a leader .I believe that to be a leader you don't have to be in Authority, Because actions speak louder than words.

Back in 2014, I was chosen for my leadership skills that I gained by volunteering in Greece to be the outgoing exchange team leader in AIESEC. I set my goals and my entity's to leave the biggest impact we can in our society. I was leading a small team to promote the values of volunteering abroad in developing countries in our society. I was doing my best to optimize their performances and help them reach their true potential by motivating them when they felt down as the results were less than expected and to show them how to finish their tasks properly.

I used to arrange meetings with youth at my age to encourage them to go volunteering for a couple of months in developing countries and their parents to educate them about the impact of volunteering in their kids' lives, and how that would affect their behavior and mindset. And further on help them in the professional field.

I was overwhelmed by the feedback I got from those young guys about how the exchange added to their skills and values by understanding the other. communicating with people from other countries broadened their worldview and helped them to understand the challenges that other countries pass through. Which later on helped them to find solutions for the challenges we pass through in our small town.

Few months later, I volunteered as a dentist with a local NGO that has a mission of travelling to remote underprivileged villages and provide them with essential dental care. I was responsible for leading a group of kids to deliver dental awareness sessions, distribute dental kits to the kids and provide dental treatments with our portable devices.

In 2015 I travelled to Colombia and Brazil to volunteer as an English teacher. My role was assisting the local teachers with preparing the classes and educating students about the culture of the opposite part of the world.

I learned Spanish and Portuguese during that year to be able to reach as many people as possible to have constructive discussions in their language.

In 2016, I started a new role as a cabin crew for an International Airlines. I improved my leadership skills through the training I received at the beginning by knowing how to co-operate with my colleagues to lead all passengers on board in cases of emergency to safety. I was also taking leadership towards medical emergencies that might happen to a passenger on board. And later after becoming senior in my cabin, I was helping junior cabin crew of my cosmopolitan team by explaining their duties and how to be team players while finishing the job. I received many compliments from my colleagues for showing leadership skills on board.

In summary, My choices helped me to improve my leadership skills and leave an impact everywhere I worked. And I'm so sure Chevening would be the perfect bridge to connect my leadership experience to higher professional levels.
You have so much exposure and immersion experiences to speak of. You have learned several lessons in community service. You have influenced small groups in a positive manner. Yet, I fail to see any professional leadership and influencing skills. How did these experiences tie into the professional that you have become? We do not need a narration of all your work experience on the civic side, we need to learn about your professional side. While these experiences may be seen as having an international implication in terms of your ability to become a national leader in the future, the lack of professional leadership is what will leave this essay questionable in the eyes of the reviewer. You do not seem to have an actual focus professionally. You are just moving about the world in whatever capacity you can. Rather than leadership, you will be seen as aimless. A directionless person who doesn't have any professional skills to speak of. I am not confident this essay can help advance your application. It would be better if you would write an essay that properly balances the civic with the professional. That way you come across more as a well rounded professional instead of a person looking for direction in life.
JTore - / 2  
@Sam11
From your essay you seem not to use the STAR approach. Clearly outlining the situation and address it with your specific action will show the results

Home / Scholarship / Leadership skills would take you where you want to reach, Chevening leadership essay