UW Leadership/Volunteerism Scholarship Essay

uwmarc 1 / 9  
The essay should address how your service or leadership activities have enhanced your campus, local community and/or yourself academically, professionally, and personally. Specifically identify evidence of self- improvement and motivation as a result of this involvement and discuss how you intend to continue service after graduation. Essays must be attached to the application form. The essay should be typed, double-spaced, and one (minimum) to two (maximum) pages in length.

I've posted my essay below. Can you help to ensure that I've met requirements for this scholarship? I think so, but that's a biased opinion, I'm sure. Thanks for your assistance!!

Mario Marcelle
Scholarship Application Essay
University of Washington - Tacoma
Institute of Technology

Volunteerism has always come naturally for me. As a child, I begged and pleaded with my mother to let me be part of the Boy Scouts of America. I saw the leadership they exhibited and the feats that they accomplished as volunteers. But at the age of nine, I only qualified to be a Cub Scout, so I set out to be the best Cub Scout that I could be. As a member, I was placed in various roles within the organization and handled them well. I remember once, specifically, I was a member of a team that ensured the campfire was maintained for our breakfast one morning. I helped in the gathering of kindling, paper, and whatever other combustible material we could find, and helped start the fire. My scout leader was so impressed; she nicknamed me "Lungs", because of my eagerness to keep the fire going. Another time, we were conducting a fundraiser for a trip to the capital of our nation, Washington D.C. We canvassed our town for about eight weeks to raise the necessary funding for this trip. I was so exhilarated to have a direct role in this endeavor that even when rejected, I would attempt one more time, reminding them that this was a tax-deductible donation, though I had no idea what this meant at the time. This volunteer spirit was such a distinct characteristic of my being that I volunteered to join the United States Armed Forces at the age of nineteen.

I remember going into the United States Army, a young, timid, immature boy, unsure of what to expect. But when I exited the Army, eight years later, I was older, bolder, more mature, and I had a sense of what my purpose should be in the world. When I was enlisted, I faced obstacles that I had never encountered before, some physical, some mental. I especially remember being deployed to Southwest Asia, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and facing uncertainty like I never had before. Those experiences have shaped me into the person that I am today; a loving father, a giving human being, a committed student and a faithful member at my church. I have researched opportunities to give back to my school, while a student at the University of Washington - Tacoma, and intend to volunteer in committees within the school. I have also looked at opportunities in the community and will do my best to volunteer where needed. Upon graduation from UW-T, I intend to help veterans that are less fortunate than I, simply because I know what they've been through and can relate to their struggles. In the meantime, because of my obligations to family and education, my volunteering activities consist of playing music for my local church. For the last seven years or so, I have volunteered at my church as a musician. Currently, I play the drums, and enjoy giving back to my community in some way.
OP uwmarc 1 / 9  
Well, since no one's answering, I'll assume that this meets the requirements and submit. Thanks anyway!! Y'all take care now.

Mario M.
testing /  
You showed from the very beginning that you are a good material for a leader. Playing drums is a leader's thing too (if you can sing at the same time it would be terrific ;). Good luck!
OP uwmarc 1 / 9  
Thanks testing. I'll submit my packet today, and hope for the best!

Mario M.
chess1921 1 / 11  
It's REALLY good, no mistakes that I could find. Very touching and appealing.
Since you are a veteran, I was wondering whether you could help me with this essay, for the DAR essay contest.
It's about how soldiers have fought for our independence, and what they have been through.
PLEASE give me your e-mail address.

Thanks,
Abi
OP uwmarc 1 / 9  
Sure thing Abi. I'd be glad to help you with your essay. You can reach me at marcem1@uw.edu. I check that address quite frequently, so if you message me, I'll respond right away. When did you want to get started? Oh, and when is it due?

Mario M.
hungvud 19 / 30 6  
I see fire a strong flame in your heart, you might have been born as a volunteer ;) I have never seen anyone who is so eager to serve the community like you. Good luck :)

Home / Scholarship / UW Leadership/Volunteerism Scholarship Essay