"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

cyclone96 2 / 3  
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." -Albert Einstein. What does this statement mean to you? Use a personal experience to elaborate your point. (200-500 words)

Everyone can take this quote and apply it to their favorite hobbies, sports, school, work, or business. The most relevant game to me right now is college, which is a token to advance to the level of the professional work world.

Because if there were a formula to get a good job, many recruiters would say they look for those who best achieve a high G.P.A, work experience, leadership, and professionalism. Each of these are simply "tasks" of the game. We start with a high G.P.A, volunteer to take on a leadership role, in turn hope for work experience and gain professionalism along the way. The problem is that each task is not so simple. Each task requires complex analysis, trial and error, persistence, planning, and execution.

The problem is that many players to this game start with an advantage, while others are left to strive to advance with little to invest. As a first generation college student, my family did not have much finance to invest into the game of college. I had to plan early. I knew the game was tough. My whole life, my parents would try their best to mentally prepare me for college. But as it came closer, I realized that even the process of getting in would be rough. I learned very quickly and even taught my parents about finances and taxes when I had to complete my own FAFSA.

As college came around, I had to learn its unwritten rules. In college, professors simply do not have the class-time to cover all material students are expected to learn. I would attend tutoring sessions, supplemental instruction, and the professor's office hours. Now that I've advanced to the core engineering classes, I have maintained a habit of studying in groups because teaching is a great way to prove one knows the course material and asking for help when necessary is essential.

Aiming for the professional work world, I would go to Engineering Career Services Seminars to learn about how to talk, prepare, and dress for job fairs, interviews, and internships. To prepare for a full time job, we need experience. To get an internship, we need professional experience. The way out of this loop, most of my peers would tell me, is to get professional experience through a family connection. While, this is a struggle for me as a first generation college-student, I took an extra step and joined INROADS, a program which would help me transition to the work world and potentially provide opportunity for an engineering internship. I did receive an internship with UTC Taylor and am following the rules of the game toward my final destination.

I have used my sources, learned from my peers, learned from mistakes, and persisted to move forward. I have had to play harder than most players to prove myself worthy and start the competition. I have learned the rule of this game, and I'd say that I am surpassing many.
Hi Yesenia, as I finished reading your essay, I must conclude that this is a fairly written essay, I say fairly because the essay started quiet weak. You have to understand that the introduction of the essay is one of the most important part of the essay, it should have the elements that will outline the entire essay.

Moving forward, I suggest you revise the introduction and make it strong by adding your own understanding of the quote, remember, this is not about a literal game, it's about life and how this quote is associated to your life experience.

This can be from the struggles, challenges, achievements, that's the game and what the prompt is asking is how you manage to tackle this mishaps in life if there's any.

Overall, the transition of the essay towards the conclusion is rather smooth.
I hope this insights are useful.

Home / Scholarship / "You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."