Learning languages - my study plan. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR KOREAN SCHOLARSHIP

lynleo 1 / -  
Please help me with comments on my statement of purpose and give me pointers

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR KOREAN SCHOLARSHIP

LANGUAGE STUDY PLAN

"Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things but learning another way to think about things." "Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom." These quotes have always motivated me when learning a new language. Currently am fluent in four languages being English, Setswana, Kalanga, and Ndebele. I have found myself learning new things and ideas while conversing with individuals who speak a different language to that of mine and given me different perspectives on approaching social issues. I enjoy reading and this has helped improve my English vocabulary. English is an official language in Botswana and thus I spend most of the time conversing in English. I will continue improving my English language skills in Korea by conversing with other international students.

To learn a new language, one must be a good listen because that is where you learn the nuance of the language and be able to repeat it. As part of my hobbies, I have enjoyed watching Korean dramas where I have picked up different phrases used in everyday life. In addition, I have dedicated a certain time of my day to practice and learn Hangul. During the first year of intensive language program, I will commit most of my time to learn Hangul outside the classroom such as engaging in community activities and conversing in Hangul. When I was learning English, I discovered that reading improved my skills thus I will also start reading text in Hangul. I will start my reading children's books and gradually move on to reading novels and course materials.

One at a time.
It is great that you are a polyglot, but that is not the focus of the essay. This is a single paragraph response to a series of discussion instructions. For the study plan, focus on how you are preparing to learn Hangeul, before and after your arrival in Korea. The second paragraph is a good start. Just incorporate your polyglot status into a single sentence at the start instead. Develop the paragraph to have a clearer indication of your language lessons. Not just through the watching of Korean dramas, but actual language learning either through apps, chatrooms, or other avenues of language learning.
karinrizky 1 / 1  
@lynleo
Hi, yeah I think the comittee wanted to see how strong-willed we are in applying for the scholarship, which they want to see as our preparation.

Maybe instead of saying you have spent some time for learning hangul, you can directly state that, for example, you have already memorized and able to recite hangeul.. That way they can see a proof of our effort.

Just a bit of advice, good luck!

Home / Scholarship / Learning languages - my study plan. STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR KOREAN SCHOLARSHIP