When life throws you Hurdles, theres nothing to do but Leap

chaotic_kiddo 2 / 6  
Prompt: Tell us about your struggles, successes, dreams, and goals, why you deserve this scholarship and how it will help you accomplish your goals.
Note: I need help with this essay, please. I want to know if it has the impact I am looking for and if you have any suggestions to make it better. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

When Life Throws You Hurdles, There's Nothing to Do but Leap

Hurdling is a track and field event requiring not only speed and endurance, but the strength, and courage, to jump across obstacles without reserve. When people think of hurdlers, they picture tall, graceful athletes leaping over barriers higher than their waists. Never would it cross their minds to think a short 5"5 girl like myself, who had a reputation for tripping over her own feet, and knocking over the objects around her, could be hurdler; most especially not after witnessing me crashing to the ground many times after several failed attempts.

I kept trying stubbornly, despite being doubtful of my ability to succeed. Consequently, I continued to fall, and eventually failed to get back up. I couldn't help feeling like a failure. I attended practice daily, and went through numerous push-ups, squats, lunges, and rigorous sprints to prepare for my first jump, but as I neared the hurdle it seemed to rise higher and higher. I found myself hurtling towards the gritty ground, crying in humiliation and pain as I looked down at a twisted, broken finger. I now needed surgery to piece my shattered bones together, and according to the doctor, might not be able to form a full fist again.

The reality that I would never be able to hold a racket, a pencil or a fork in my left hand crushed me. Nevertheless I dragged myself to my hand therapy sessions. "Bend as far as you can," the therapist instructed. The intense pain that shot through my hand when I first tried to move my finger incapacitated me, making me doubt if I would ever be able to bend it at all. Overcoming the pain felt like trying to leap over a hurdle. "You can't jump over it, if you don't believe you can," I remembered Coach saying. I hesitated when I was faced with an obstacle, and sure enough I fell. Similarly in life, I realized that self-doubt predicates failure. I needed to believe in myself before I could succeed.

Inspired by Coach's words, I was filled with renewed hope. I clenched my eyes shut, and stomached the pain. "I can do this," I repeated, until with triumph, I bent my finger by its first centimeter. My success motivated me to work harder. Each day, I battled the pain and the temptation to surrender. With fierce determination, I worked to bend and extend my finger. Until one day, against everyone's expectations, I formed a full fist, shocking my doctor, my therapist, and everyone who thought I would be handicapped forever. I was filled with pride and triumph. I had leapt over the barrier in my head, the shaky confidence that had so many times led me to failure. I may not have been able to overcome the physical hurdle in the track field, but I had conquered the biggest hurdle of all.

My triumph instilled in me the conviction that although life comes with many challenges, through courage, persistence, and the determination to keep jumping incessantly despite failure after failure, no barrier stands too high. Today, as I prepare to tackle my next hurdle, the rough and rigorous path to becoming an international lawyer, I feel unfazed by the long nights of hard work and sacrifice involved. One day, I aim to transfer to the University of X, to get my business degree and finally enter Y for my J.D. I am confident in my capacity to excel with the opportunity of a good education.

I first entered Z Community College with a busy work schedule, a commitment to volunteering and community service, as well as towards helping my mom, a single parent take care of my younger brother and sister. And although I was burdened by many responsibilities, I maintained six classes with a 4.0 GPA. In this way, I demonstrate an ability to tackle life's barriers, just as I have dealt with my broken finger. My experience has taught me the value of persevering, even when I felt giving up, of setting goals and, working hard to meet them, and most importantly, believing in myself. Through adversity I have emerged a hurdler, with the persistence and determination to readily face whatever barriers may come my way. This is why I deserve this scholarship.
This is great. I have made it through the first half, and it seems like a very impressive piece of writing about perseverance. You used a lot of great ideas and interesting ways of expressing them.

"I can do this," I repeated, until with triumph (no comma necessary here) I bent my finger by its first centimeter almost 45 degrees. My success motivated me to work harder.--- do you like it this way? The thing about the centimeter was confusing to me.

Inspired by Coach's words, I was filled with--- don't capitalize coach here.

Through adversity I have emerged a hurdler, with the persistence and determination to readily face whatever barriers may come my way. This is why I deserve the (name of scholarship).

You shuld feel very confident about this essay. They love this sort of thing.. :0)
OP chaotic_kiddo 2 / 6  
Thank you so much for the insight! :) I turned in my paper... hope I get the scholarship. And I followed your revision as well, I guess degrees makes more sense since I was bending my finger. I only put centimeters because my therapist measured my progress against a ruler.

Home / Scholarship / When life throws you Hurdles, theres nothing to do but Leap