A LIFE TIME LEADER AND AN INFLUENCER IN ME. For Chevening scholarship

benjankwatse 2 / 2 1  

A LIFE TIME LEADER AND AN INFLUENCER IN ME

My first leadership experience came from Being a former students' leader and an accounts assistant at my workplace (Bishop Stuart university), I was versed with the leadership responsibility of being the financial advisor (advise and guide on managing finance for useful investments) to the registered students' organizations in the university. The university had a very unique problem of separating students' subscription fee from the general tuition and other fees paid by students and usually the students' subscription fee was used to run university programs and cater for general expenses of which it would be paid for students' unions projects though they would remain un/under developed due to lack of sufficient funding. I remember it was on 3rd August 2017 when this issue almost made students (almost 35,000) strike because they couldn't withstand the fact that their subscription fee was of no use to their projects as students' unions, being their former guild leader, students still believed in me and I used my leadership skills to convince them to cub down the chaos and strike that was almost happening through giving them hope that the management and I (their financial advisor) would jointly fix their issue. On 23rd August 2017, I initiated and designed financial policies and guidelines for campus life programs to guide students' unions on how to manage their funds using my financial management skills and I presented them to the finance management committee and the senior management committee of Bishop Stuart university so that students unions' funds would be separately and solely controlled by and for students' interests. These financial policies and guidelines were adapted by the university authorities and students' unions at large because I had persuaded them and up to now those policies are straightly working for students. These financial policies and guidelines included;

All use of student group funds shall be in accordance with the group's constitution. Student groups may pay its officers and employee's salaries, wages, stipends, or other lawful incentives for services rendered. Student groups may also make financial awards/prizes to individuals, including officers or members, as a result of individual participation in a student group activity. Other payments, including gifts, distribution of residual assets or profits, dividends, and so on, to officers, members, or other individuals are prohibited. Where appropriate, organizations that qualify as charitable, educational, social, or benevolent organizations may make payments to other affiliated organizations outside the University.

Registered Students unions shall maintain independent financial accounts (including checkbooks) outside of the University. Registered Students Unions shall not operate their finances via the University's financial system.

Registered Students Unions do not have access to the University's tax-exempt status and may not use the University tax identification number.
Although Bishop Stuart university asks all Registered Students Unions to operate as nonprofit entities, these groups do not have nonprofit status with the Ugandan government.

Registered Students Unions are encouraged to apply for a Tax identification number to be used for any financial accounts on the group's behalf from the Uganda Revenue Authority.

These policies and guidelines have been helpful to students in that;
Students unions now have a right on their budget and budgetary control, investments for example today Bishop Stuart students' guild owns a stored building fully funded by its subscription fee, it owns residential houses for tenants that generate income to the union and other assets registered in their unions' names.

It has given the students a sense of ownership which has boosted their projects performance thus development. Students unions put in much efforts to make sure their projects are operated in the right way because they are of their own.

My next leadership experience came from working as founder and CEO of waste management company which is named, "trash bin services ltd" the company that I established in 2017. Even though it was my first experience of establishing a business, I was sure that I can do it because of successful missions that I had worked. The aim of the company is to provide private refuse collection services to inhabitants of Mbarara district. This covers residential, office and business premises. Trash bin Services Ltd is a fully integrated, specialized company and business entity for one year. Through various strategic acquisitions, we are the most experienced waste management company in the environmental services industry in western region of Uganda. we revolutionize waste management, by transforming what was once a bleak and dated industry into a professional, efficient and hygienic solution to remove unwanted waste.

At first I assigned the responsibilities of each employee of the company. As the next step toward continuing my business I influenced responsible stakeholders and authorities to pattern with my business by developing a waste management project proposal and successfully presented it in the city development strategies (CDS) of Mbarara and regional environmental conservation summit that took place on 8th December 2017 at lake view hotel in Mbarara municipality. This helped me to influence decision makers who became both my customers in their households and helped me to lobby for my company a business tender from the municipal council.

I employ and manage skilled and semi-skilled workers to convince the customers and increase sales such that we can increase our customer base and market by motivating them with incentives and recognitions by the company. On 7th February 2018, Trash bin services ltd won a tender/contract with the municipal council of Mbarara to be a sole waste management company in Mbarara district and achieved partial funding from Mbarara municipal council on private-government pattern ship program to collect, manage and recycle wastes in the city. As of now, Trash bin services ltd is the leading waste collection and management service company in western Uganda and I can't take that for granted. As a leader and founder I could experience one of my best leadership and influence skills in life.

I have always tried to bring visible positive impact to the communities I live in, given this great opportunity to become a chevening scholar, I will be part of a lifelong relationship which will bring mutual benefits like sharing developmental ideas with outstanding great future leaders and influencers around the globe which will boost my leadership and influence skills to add value not only to Uganda but also to the chevening community, United Kingdom and the globe at large.

This will also help me strengthen the relationship between Uganda and the United Kingdom.
Benjamin, I am not going to give this essay a serious review because you have not written the content as per the Chevening requirements. You have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 500 words for your presentation. You did not even bother to read the prompt instructions did you? I know you did not read it because if you even scanned the instructions, then you would have easily known that you went over the limit with this 1077 word essay. I cannot even begin to review this because the essay is overly informed. Edit this down to the proper 500 word format and then come back to a more serious review. Take this application essay seriously. Follow the rules. Any violation of the rules set by the prompt requirements, any irrelevant essay when compared to the prompt provided will disqualify your application. As of now, the length of this essay alone will be enough to disqualify you from the running. All because you failed to follow instructions.

Home / Scholarship / A LIFE TIME LEADER AND AN INFLUENCER IN ME. For Chevening scholarship