I like to assume biology experiments as a expedition to the microcosm, it makes me excited, zealous

Xuehuaweiba 1 / -  
Self-introduction for Graduate Korean Government Scholarship Program. I applied doctoral program.

hi, the instruction for the self-intro of this KGSP:
o Your course of life, your view of life, study background, your hopes & wishes, etc
o Your education and work experience, etc., in relation to the KGSP program
o Your motivations for applying for this program
o Reason for study in Korea

the main body of my self-intro:
People may think it's crazy to be a female scientist, including my parent. It seems that in traditional thinking women should have a stable job and be a good wife and mother at home after marriage; however, that has never been my aim of life. From my young age, my father always encouraged me to observe the environment we lived and cast questions on it. Until senior high school, I began to touch some superficial knowledge of molecular biology knowing the amazing regulation mechanisms inside cells. This helped me to knock on the door of the life science world, and I began to think about my future direction. Being a scientist wasn't exactly what I had in my mind but I indeed wanted to keep digging out more secret of life science. After senior high school I chose College of Life Science and Technology of Huazhong Agricultural University as my first aspiration.

To memorize my undergraduate years, they are substantial and beautiful. I got solid biology foundation from my university by learning courses like biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics, etc. Hard works helped me won scholarships every years which I used to took extra English courses. Besides, as a member of propaganda association and basketball team I participated in variety of activities and sport competition, which taught me the importance of creation and team work.

My graduate research life is in National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, majored in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. The research subject I focused is to detect the secondary structure of a long non-coding RNA. During the graduate period I had a chance to study in the University of Chicago to learn Structure Probing of Nucleic Acids. After 3 months hard work, not only did learn new technology expected from my supervisor, but also got new progress on another project and wrote the manuscript of that result. After come back to China, I really started a hard way carrying out the experiments, for the technology I learned is totally new here without any suitable equipment and reagents. All things are difficult before they are easy, the willpower took me go through the hardship. Although it's really a hard time for me even to recall the memory, those precious experiences trained me as a strong woman knowing the value of consistency.

The long non-coding RNA I detected regulates the fertility of rice. The rice as we all know is the main crop of Asia. There are also many research groups working on the rice. So during my graduate time, I have chances to be in touch with the professors in Korea who came to our school to report. As my subject is something to do with microRNA, so I also read numerous papers on it including the research result of Kim V. Narry, a professor of Seoul National University. Her study really attracts me and complements my knowledge of miRNA section. Therefore, I plan my next research stage in Korea.

As a grown-up, I expect to be both mentally and economically independent. Although pursuing further education is an investment to my future life, it's not an excuse to bring burden to my parents. Meanwhile, having the opportunity to get scholarship can facilitate me to fully concentrate my attention to the research. Professor HT Cho, who affiliates to Natural College in SNU, studies hormone of plant which is very impressive to me and we talked for several times about the subject. He is also satisfied with me and has already given me a research project which is very challenging. Thus I wish the financial issue won't distract my attention then.

I always like to assume biology experiments as a expedition to the microcosm, it makes me excited and zealous. Exploring the functioning mechanism of this living world is the process of pursuing the truth, just like the motto on the badge of SNU: Veritas lux mea (The truth is my life). Pushing forward the development of nature science is significant in the global level, and will contribute to every country in a long term. Although my original intention is not so grand, with gradually armed with scientific knowledge, I find that science is the power of this world. Thus I believe it's never too late to fund for life science.

My questions: Is this unique enough? I hope that it isn't a normal one that appropriat for everyone.
I applied doctoral program, do I need to mention undergraduate experience?

Thanks a lot!
Yang, your essay is quite intricate and informative. Whether the content you chose to present is uncommon or not is something that we cannot answer here because we are not privy to the kind of essays submitted by various KGSP applicants. The way I see it, you need not be so detailed in your essay because it comes across as repetitive and boring at a certain point. Why not just present a summary discussion of the following:

1. Your family life and how they inspired you to pursue your goals. Never mind the part about any opposition to who you became because that is not relevant to this essay.

2. Your relevant undergraduate experiences and accomplishments in summary form.
3. Your current work experience in relation to the masters program you want to apply to.
4. Your relevant on the job training or seminars attended.
5.Discuss how you hope these advanced studies will help you attain your future goal.

This is basically an enhanced version of a statement of purpose so you should write it based upon a similar criteria such as the one I listed above.

Home / Scholarship / I like to assume biology experiments as a expedition to the microcosm, it makes me excited, zealous