Little me would have liked big me - my personal artistic statement for SCHOLARSHIP

karchkarch 1 / 4 1  
Instruction: A typed 500-word statement on personal interest & achievement in relation to the programme of study
(my programme of study is Design Communication BA(Hons))

[I know that I am instructed to write a 500-word essay but I ended up with 700+ word essay and I don't know which part to omit. feel free to critique too! I am looking for as much feedback as possible]

Little me would have liked big me. As an elementary school student I was constantly worried that I was the only one in my group that did not have talent. All of my friends would go to music class or dance class after school, while I was just go straight to home and play on my mother's computer, going back and forth between Paint and Minesweeper for hours. While there were only a few programs installed on her computer, I came across Adobe Photoshop CS3 and decided to try it out, at first I was only using the basic tool as I have zero knowledge of the program, then it was progressed to the more complex tool until eventually I educated myself in Adobe Photoshop, and it was the first time I am exposed to graphic software. My adventure with Adobe Photoshop then went dormant for quite a while as I started weekly sessions of art class after school, it was fun because I used to read Japanese comic book and wanted to create one too.

I have one goal when I started my high school year; take part in as many non-academic activities as possible, I wanted to be a part of something that can give to the society, gain new experience, and explore my potential. I made it into the artistic commission of the student council and took part in many non-academic activities; Skylite Musicals: The Tale of Two Tribes (musical), SKY: Sky Battle x Jakarta in Global (sports and english competition), Rugby Fest (rugby competition), Hunting on the Trip (photography), Eksplorasi Flores (nature enthusiast), Skylite Musicals: KILAS! (musical), Sky Avenue: Machineries of Delusion (music event), and several others. Regardless of the diversity of the activities I was involved in, I always end up with the same job desk; artistic/design committee, this was where my Adobe Photoshop skill awake from its dormant, I was exposed with constant design work while keeping up with my duty as a student. It was challenging to balance both academic and non-academic activities, science program was demanding meanwhile I had deadlines to complete, at first I struggled with time management either I would miss deadlines or classes, in the end I was able to adjust myself and use my time efficiently to measure up with both activities. Through the years in high school my artistic endeavor has grown rapidly, started with a primary knowledge in Adobe Photoshop and ended with having an art portfolio, from an oblivious sophomore to an ambitious senior, and my future has finally come into focus.

I do design purely because I like doing it, then it become something bigger and I found myself wanted to associate myself in the creative industry, work in an artistic environment, and aid my desire for knowledge. I aspire to be an important figure that revives design by create and publish a good design, an innovative and honest design that highlight an issue thoroughly and deliver the main concern straightaway. Media today can be convoluted and obtrusive to the point where misinformation and false revelation occur frequently, and I would like to address the issue and change its direction to a better light where information can be perceived as a whole. In order to do that an extensive understanding of the issue is vital, relating to it I aim to further my education on media studies and start my career as an entrepreneur in design and media production. I do realize that change does not happen overnight nor in a short period of time, therefore to startup my aspiration I am going to start small and reach out to publishing companies, organizations, and the society to assist understanding about media and how it works.

I was an elementary school student who able to use Adobe Photoshop, then I emerge into an active high school student with numerous experiences, and here I am at the end of my high school year with a big vision on changing the media industry through design. This scholarship will helped me tremendously in setting my aspiration in motion, it will undoubtedly helped financially, but it also will motivate me to make the most of my time at [x]. I look forward to broaden my creativity and individuality, and engross in what the community has to offer that I cannot get anywhere else. Quoted from Hunter S. Thompson, an American journalist and author, "anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing."

thank you for taking your time to give me a feedback! :)
beyondmtk 9 / 16 4  
While there were only a few programs installed on her computer, I came across Adobe Photoshop CS3 and decided to try it out, at first I was only using the basic tool as I have zerono knowledge of the program, then it was progressed to the more complex tool until eventually I educated myself in Adobe Photoshop, and it was the first time I am exposed to graphic software.

I suppose you can try writing your achievement as you are trying to win a scholarship. Such as ,giving them some examples.
OP karchkarch 1 / 4 1  
I am aware that writing my achievement is necessary, however the admission also asked for a CV. Should I still write my achievement on the essay though? thanks.

Home / Scholarship / Little me would have liked big me - my personal artistic statement for SCHOLARSHIP