'I made the decision to change schools' - PERSONAL CHALLENGE ESSAY

tdcrawf 1 / 1  
HI EVERYONE! Please be very crictical of this essay, Every bit of advice helps. Thank you all! (The topic is in bold/italilcs)

Please write a personal statement describing an instance in which you faced a significant personal challenge and discuss the steps you took in response; or copy and paste a previously written work that accurately reflects your writing skills and academic ability.

High school was a larger and much more complex environment than junior high and I found the transition more difficult than I had imagined. I watched as both guys and girls I had known since elementary school became entirely different people. My friends who were once critical of those who would say or do anything to be accepted, were now saying and doing what they thought would make them accepted. A small number of my peers stayed true to themselves, while the majority focused on fitting in with the older students. I found myself somewhere in the middle, wanting to be accepted yet not wanting to let go of who I was. I began to feel overwhelmed by the peer pressure and changes that surrounded me. Before long I was struggling in school and my grades began to slip. It was at this point I realized I needed to make a change both socially and academically. I had the option to continue where I was and risk falling further behind in school and losing my true self all together or transfer to a different high school, one with a reputation of being more socially welcoming but also more academically challenging. I was faced with a difficult challenge. After much time spent in prayerful reflection and talking with family and friends, I made the decision to change schools.

I welcomed this challenge even though it meant leaving an environment I was familiar with and the friends I had known since elementary school, the ones whom I laughed and shared secrets with. I saw the opportunity in this difficult decision to start fresh and prove to myself that I had what it takes to be successful, the decision turned out to be the right choice. I was able to overcome the social challenges and academic obstacles I faced my freshman year. With a new, friendlier environment I gained the strength and courage I needed to withstand peer pressure. I started setting high standards for myself and pushing my limits to the maximum. After transferring high schools my grades gradually improved, I've made Grand Honor Roll and Honor Roll. I've also made many new friends that continue to have a positive influence on my life.

Now it is my senior year and after three years of making changes and adapting to this new place, I am eager to graduate high school, venture out, and move into yet another unfamiliar environment. The trials I endured my freshman year were preparing me for the obstacles I will face throughout the rest of my life. I am confident that I now have the faith and strength to overcome whatever is thrown my direction.
High school was a larger and much more complex environment than junior high, and I found the transition to be more difficult than I had imagined.

My friends who were once critical of those who would say or do anything to be accepted, were now saying and doing what they thought would get them accepted.

Before long, I was struggling in school and my grades began to slip.

...further behind in school and losing my true self all together or to transfer to a different high school, one with a reputation of being more socially welcoming but also more academically challenging.

I saw the opportunity in this difficult decision to start fresh and prove to myself that I had what it takes to be successful, and the decision turned out to be the right one .

After transferring high schools my grades gradually improved, and I've made Grand Honor Roll and Honor Roll.

I've also made many new friends who continue to have a positive influence on my life.

Excellent! Have fun in school and good luck!

:)
OP tdcrawf 1 / 1  
Your input has been very helpful! THANK YOU:)

Home / Scholarship / 'I made the decision to change schools' - PERSONAL CHALLENGE ESSAY