I want to make a difference; U Ottawa Scholarship - Why Engineering?

jbrasz 1 / -  
Engineering is what makes the world prosper. It has been present since the beginnings of history-the invention of the wheel, the pulley, the lever-it is the very basis of day to day life. It is the act of taking the knowledge we learn of the world around us and using it for the benefit of others. Engineers have taken simple discoveries and transformed them into crucial moments in history-from the automobile, to space shuttles.

I want to study engineering because I want to make a difference. I want to use my academic strengths for the good of others. Human nature is imperfect-we start wars, destroy nature, and pollute the air. I know I cannot right the wrongs that I and the world have made, but as an engineer, I can make the world a better place.

Changing the world might seem pretentious, but we all need a dream and we all need to start somewhere. Studying engineering is the first step I know I must take. I may not make it into history textbooks but I will always strive to make the difference.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi :) Your essay is nice, but it is a little plain. I am afraid that it may end up blending in with the many many other essays for this scholarship. Try to make your intro more about you and less about explaining the concept of engineering. The best thing that you can do is explain that you have a huge interest in the field, say if you have any experience in this subject, and explain what you intend to pursue regarding your career. Be sure to show them that you have a plan.. short term and long term, state your goals. Explain how your college education will help you advance toward your lifetime goals. Good luck in school :)
It hashad been present since the beginnings of history

Engineering is what makes the world prosper. It has been present since the beginnings of history-the invention of the wheel, the pulley, the lever-it is the very basis of day to day life.

All this sounds perfect. But it sounds like theory. Your presence is not their at all... It only talks about wisdom of engineering and that is not what the selection committee wants to know. What they want to know is why you want to pursue engineering?

In my view, you need to provide them with an answer of more personal nature.... How you got attracted to engineering? What aspects of engineering inspire you the most? etc.

Home / Scholarship / I want to make a difference; U Ottawa Scholarship - Why Engineering?