'To make a positive improvement' - Chevening Essay : Individuals with strong networking skills

bnrdhmsnt 4 / 14 5  
Hi friends, I'm Binari from Indonesia. I need your help to give my essay about networking skill some feedback. I will very appreciate your feedback, comment, or correction. I attach the question and my answer below. May God bless those who help each other :)

1. Question : Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

Crucial advice from one of my Professors

When I was a freshman, one of my Professor said that, "starting from now you should try to make a good social network. If you are able to build, maintain, or even thrive your social network, I strongly believe the impact it will have on your career will be well worth it". Feel enlightened by the words, I decided to join and actively involved in several student activities. I got the chances to interact and get to know a lot of people either senior or junior students. Being known by my senior lead me to many opportunities to learn various new experiences. One among others is my senior asked me to join his project with one of our lecturer. He recommended me as he knew that I possess the competency that they need to did the work. I gained both monetary and experience benefit from those project.

In 2014, I did an internship at Community Development and Crisis Centre of Faculty of Psychology Universitas Airlangga (PKPK). During my internship period, I maintain the good relationship with my lecturers who also become our supervisors in PKPK and my intern colleagues. I also tried to show them my best performance for the organization while I was an intern. In result, they trust me to handle some major project such as community development joint project with UNICEF and ROTARY. After my internship period in PKPK has ended, I've maintained my relationship with people inside those organization through joining their gathering and social media group in order to keep up to what's happening inside.

I am currently working as a junior lecturer in Faculty of Psychology Universitas Airlangga. I can land a job here due to the fact that my lecturers, who also my supervisors in PKPK, satisfied with my performance during my internship period. They recommend me to become a junior lecturer in our faculty. Some of my duties are to conduct an independent research and organizing community service. My well-maintained network with PKPK has given me many benefit to ease my current job. For example, when I need to conduct a research, I can make a collaboration with them. I can save my time by ask them to help me in data collection process. It will both ease my job and give a new experience to PKPK's intern in term of research.

As a lecturer to be, I am completely aware that I need to expand my network abroad in order to advance higher education quality in Indonesia. International research partnership, curriculum, as well as teaching and learning method are some areas which our higher education sector need to improve. By having my master degree in England, I will get the chance to enrich my knowledge along with establishing a new partnership with my future international colleagues and university. Moreover, if I granted as Chevening Awardee, I will get the best social network I can ever have, and certainly it will bring many positive improvement for our Faculty, also Indonesia in general.
Binari, you need to create more interesting hook for the reviewer than the one that you have now. I would like you to open with a statement similar to the following:

It is said that the connections we make in college will be beneficial to our professional lives. I can attest to this fact. Through the network that I created as an intern at the Community Development and Crisis Centre of Faculty of Psychology Universitas Airlangga (PKPK), I was able to launch my professional career and also, create an ever growing network of professional and personal contacts. How did I manage to create such a strong network? It all started in 2014 when I ...

By focusing on the most relevant and important network development in your career, you will be able to better direct the attention of the reviewer to the method by which your network was created. The second paragraph should be all about how you now work as a lecturer and all the networking data attached to that. For your conclusion, don't forget to explain how you plan to use your past, current, and future connection for the benefit of the incoming Chevening scholars as well. Chevening is all about creating an alumna network so you need to make sure that you don't forget to mention that. It is very important to your application.

Home / Scholarship / 'To make a positive improvement' - Chevening Essay : Individuals with strong networking skills