What makes you a unique candidate to study abroad? 200-250 words

amigo123 1 / 1  

high school exchange program application

Here's my response to this:

There could be many reasons for me being a suitable candidate to study in Japan. The first and foremost reason which makes me unique is the qualities I possess. I am an ambitious, devoted, and hardworking student. I am also a fast learner and a good observer. Moreover, I am always passionate about acquiring knowledge and learning new skills. In recognition of these abilities, I have also received multiple scholarships from my school and a non-profit organization.

Another reason would be my performance in academics and extra-curriculum activities. I am a high achiever academically and I often get one of the top positions despite the tough competition in our school. My school mates also voted me as a member of the student council for a tenure of two years. This was a major leap outside my comfort zone. This experience also helped me to improve my adaptability, self-confidence, and leadership skills.

My hobbies also hold significant importance in my life. I love to travel and read books of different genres with literature and history being my favorite. I am particularly interested in the history of Japan, especially how Japan has progressed as a technological superpower even after the devastating bombing attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Last but most important: Given these skills, I firmly believe that I will not only best represent Pakistan but also dissolve all the cultural misunderstandings between the two countries.

First up, indicate an interest in Japan. What makes your interest in Japan unique? Why does that unique interest make you an excellent candidate? You have not referenced anything in this essay that the other applicants will not also be using as their qualifications. You beat the other candidates by creating a stand out personality. By creating a persona that tells the committee that you will be an asset to the program, should you be added to it. Honestly, this essay tells me that you are a keen applicant. You have the potential to be a notable applicant. You just don't know how to make yourself unique at the moment. So focus on Japan and the special relationship you might have with it. This could be cultural, personal, or a keen interest in the special academic world that the Japanese have created for their kids. Think about how you fit in this world or how you envision yourself competing and succeeding in this environment. What is it about you that would make you survive and stand out? Think beyond the normal capacity of a student. Think of yourself a super student instead.
OP amigo123 1 / 1  
I had to make it shorter so this is the end result:
Among the many reasons for me being a suitable candidate for this scholarship, the foremost is the unique qualities I possess. I am an ambitious, devoted, and hardworking student. Moreover, I am always enthusiastic about acquiring knowledge and learning new skills. In recognition of these abilities, I have received numerous rewards from national and international organizations including AIME mentoring (Australia), FEWS (PAK) and CU fellowship (New York).

Another reason would be my excellent performance in academics and extra-curriculum activities. My good reputation prompted my school mates to vote me as a representative of the student council. This experience was a major leap outside my comfort zone. It polished my leadership skills and made me adaptable, self-assertive, and composed.

My hobbies also play a significant part in my life. I love to travel and read books with literary fiction being my favorite. I also keep myself updated with the latest technological advancements. I am particularly interested in the evolution of Japan as a technological superpower. I am also fascinated by the Japanese language and its world-class education system.

Last but most important: I believe that I can use this opportunity to best represent Pakistan and act as a bridge between the two countries.

Home / Scholarship / What makes you a unique candidate to study abroad? 200-250 words