Marriage Idea - On QuestBridge short answers

Honeybear 1 / -  
if you could meet a character from a book or a historical figure, who would it be and what would you ask them?

The attitude of Elizabeth Bennet

Dear Jane Austen,
Marriage always seemed like a step one must conquer in their life, almost like an unwritten rule. Much like in England in the 1800s many people today are married for fame, wealth, or because they felt as though their time was almost up and that they had to. The attitude of Elizabeth Bennet is close to that of many women of this century, mine too. Like Bennet the idea of marrying someone you don't love or respect doesn't appeal to me and I'd much rather not married at all. While I want to get married I sometimes wonder what's the point? especially with increasing percentages of marriages collapsing. As a woman who was never married what would you think about the idea of marriage in this day and age? and what would you think about the different forms of marriage, for example open marriages?

The idea of marriage differs between people and while part of me enjoys the concept of marriage, another feels as though it is not an obligation and I would not feel less or insecure if my partner didn't want to get married, I believe you don't need to be married to get commitment
The assumption of the promptnis that you will physically meet a historical figure and spend some time.e with that person. So the narration should be in a conversational form. You cannot use a letter format for your response. You also assume that the historical figure is alive today. Which isn't the case. Try to give the historical figure a background of the modern marriage first. Then ask your questions. Your last paragraph is a bit opinionated when you are asking Ms. Austen for her opinion. Perhaps try to aim for a more general closing statement that leaves the door open for the potential presentation of her responses. You could indicate that as you explained modern marriage, she was in awe, had some questions of her own, she opinionated in a relevant manner even though she is from another Era, depict the conversation as a learning and meeting of minds from 2 different centuries, where you discovered that the old, is not so different from the new.

Home / Scholarship / Marriage Idea - On QuestBridge short answers