Essay for a master's degree in labor law (regarding an unfair job recruitment system)

Ramadan 1 / -  
Hi Everyone! here's my personal statement for GKS-G 2023. I will apply for a master's in Labor Law major. I am just wondering whether this PS has answered the instructions given. Please provide me with input regarding what is missing in this essay. Thank you in Advance.

personal statement

Here are the instructions :
- Motivations with which you apply for this programEssay for master's degree in Labor Law major (regarding job recruitment system that unfair)
- Educational background
- Significant experiences you have had; persons or events that have had a significant influence on you
- Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities, or work experiences
- If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired, etc.

Due to having graduated from a less prestigious university, my acceptance as a new employee was just canceled and replaced by someone else who had graduated from a more prestigious university. That is what people called having "alma mater privileges." Last year, I still remembered these feelings of rejection and how the "alma mater privileges" altered my perspective. As someone who graduated from the Department of Law with a qualified legal understanding, this case was unfair and did not make sense to me since they replaced me with someone who had previously been declared a failure on the selection. Moreover, the company claimed that I did not meet the requirements they wanted, even after I had completed a medical examination, passed a week of selection, and been given the all-clear. After a few days, I discovered a fact: the person in question was a prestigious university graduate. In addition, from what I have learned about labor law, the job recruitment system is also an essential instrument that can identify the creation of justice and equal opportunity in the eyes of the law, as well as prevent arbitrary action. However, when it comes to labor regulations in Indonesia, there are none that specifically mention a job recruitment system, which meant that this case was not classified as a serious illegal activity.

Therefore, it is critical for me to study labor law more deeply in order to fill the knowledge gap about this social phenomenon as well as to achieve my ultimate goal, which is to bring numerous revolutions and a new pattern to the job recruitment system in Indonesia. I also believe that it is necessary to have legal regulations that can regulate the job recruitment system separately, as well as institutions that can accommodate reports from job seekers, in order to ensure that prospective workers' personal rights are not violated. Furthermore, the reason I chose South Korea as the target country to study labor law and conduct research on job recruitment systems is that in South Korea, there is a policy regarding a job recruitment system known as "blind hiring," which I believe, in some ways, is relevant to the current cases in Indonesia since it aims to create justice and equal opportunities for all prospective workers, regardless of the prestige of the university or other irrelevant work requirements. Besides that, in Indonesia itself, labor law books are still limited as research writing sources, and there are also still a limited number of universities with relevant majors in labor law to support this research. Meanwhile, in South Korea, there are universities that have specific departments on labor law and social law, which specifically contain material on labor law. As a result, because of their success in dealing with this national issue and figuring out how to bring solutions to this matter to Indonesia, I want to continue my master's degree in labor law in South Korea through a fully funded Global Korea Scholarship, which I believe is the best option to cover all my needs during the studying process.

My name is KKKK, and I am a graduate of WGM University in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. I majored in law science, where I studied all types of law that existed in Indonesia, including public law and private law, as well as other legal disciplines. When I was in the third year of the sixth semester, I chose to concentrate on labor law, which eventually became the theme of my undergraduate thesis. Further, I examined the case about minimum wages that must be paid by companies, and while doing an internship at the Samarinda City Manpower Office, I discovered that the implementation of the minimum wage that each company must pay is still not fully implemented. The recommendation of this research was for the government to provide legal sanctions for companies that do not carry out their obligations, as well as provide the option of submitting a suspension of obligations before the regulations are enacted every year.

In addition, 2020 was a completely memorable year after graduation, as I landed my first job as a human resources administrator at PT. AMMSM District KK, which gave me such a meaningful experience. During the process, it was unfortunate that I often encountered the job recruitment process as just a formality. Nepotism occurs frequently when a candidate has a well-connected relationship with one of the superiors or when the system prefers someone who is a graduate of a prestigious university, resulting in hundreds of applications and the job examination process becoming a formality, as well as other candidates being passed over without looking at the quality first. At that time, I often objected and asked my boss to implement a fair recruitment system and respect the efforts and the time sacrificed by job seekers, but the answer my boss always gave was, "If you object to this recruitment system, please resign" and try to find companies that do not do the same; surely none exist. This experience has led me to become a person who is accountable, has solid values, speaks up with confidence, and has a strong sense of caring.

In my opinion, this statement is completely in contradiction to the mandate of the constitution, which wants to guarantee and provide equal employment opportunities to everyone. Therefore, after much deliberation, I decided to resign after exactly one year since I did not want to be a part of a system that harmed many people, and it is frustrating to me that all my efforts have gone for nothing. In the following year, I never expected that I would end up in the same situation due to the non-transparent job recruitment system. Further, after all of this agonizing process, I have come to the conclusion that it is pointless to keep complaining about the same things since they will not change at all. On the contrary, this has actually motivated me to figure out the best solution in order to make the job recruitment system in Indonesia not create other victims, and I believe that studying labor law is the best thing I can do as a first step to bringing numerous revolutions to the job recruitment system in Indonesia.

Further, I believe that the intention and desire to serve the public interest ultimately determine the value and purpose of a person's life. Therefore, I feel deserving of studying labor law through the Global Korea Scholarship since I am completely passionate and persistent about the labor field. Even though I was born and raised in limited circumstances, this has never dampened my determination to achieve my goal of becoming a labor law specialist and lecturer. Evidently, during my undergraduate studies, I received a full scholarship from the Indonesian Ministry of Education, became an outstanding student, and was active in several organizations. In particular, I am a graduate with the highest GPA at the Department of Law, with a cumulative GPA of 3.82 out of 4.00, as well as the best graduate at the university level in the 29th Inauguration Ceremony of 2021.

Moreover, I joined a debate organization as a speaker and was active in regional and national debate competitions from 2017 to 2020, and I was awarded several achievements, such as becoming the Top 5 in the 2018 STT Migas National Debate Competition, becoming the runner-up in the East Kalimantan UWGM Regional Debate in 2017, and being a representative in the focus group discussion at the Samarinda City Police 2020. Apart from that, I was also a student member of the UWGM Legal Consultation and Aid Institute from 2017 to 2020, which is a community service organization in the field of law focusing on pro bono assistance in court and free legal consultation. Particularly, I actively participated in the lawyers' agenda, such as by providing legal assistance in court, providing free legal consultations, and conducting social outreach regarding legal awareness and the existence of these organizations.

In the future, I hope that within the next 5 years, I can work as a labor law specialist and concurrently as a lecturer at a university while continuing to do more in-depth research about job recruitment. In particular, I want to contribute to the making of regulations that can protect not only workers, which are currently widely applied in Indonesia but also regulations that are specifically aimed at prospective job seekers without limiting rights or harming the company. As a first step, I believe that the Global Korea Scholarship is the best choice to achieve all of my objectives one by one in the future.
The worst thing that a scholarship applicant can do is use the personal statement, specifically the motivation discussion to air his disappointment or anger at his employer (previous or current) in the essay. It makes you sound like a person with an ax to grind rather than a person who is focused on academic improvement in relation to career advancement. Your anger is jumping off the page and can easily be felt by the reader. Tone it down. Your emotions took over most of the presentation which, I can assure you, will make the screener lose interest in you as an applicant. While what happened to you is truly one that creates anger and hatred, it should not be presented in this manner in this essay. Connect that fust in the presentation then you can move on to editing and revising other parts of this statement.

Home / Scholarship / Essay for a master's degree in labor law (regarding an unfair job recruitment system)