Masters degree in Public Health for Eye Care from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

BigBoy 2 / 4  
Hello everyone. Below is my essay for my immediate and long term career goals after attaining my masters degree. Any corrections would be highly welcome.

QUESTION: Chevening is looking for individuals who have a clear post-study career plan. Please outline your immediate plans upon returning home and your longer term career goals.

the erection of an eye care centre

After graduation with a Masters in Public Health for Eye care, I must have been equipped with more knowledge and skills required to prevent blindness and improve vision in the population of the visually challenged.

My immediate career goal on attainment of a Masters degree in Public Health for Eye Care from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine would be to facilitate the erection of an eye care centre which would be sponsored by the institution in which I am employed. The primary aim of this facility would be to provide eye care services for free or at very subsidized rates to the host and nearby communities. By the availability of this eye care centre, I should be able to resource, mobilize and execute as well as evaluate local comprehensive eye care programmes. Of course the involvement of the government would be needed for optimum impact hence, the use of such position to present the eye health concerns of affected communities to government authorities for possible assistance.

In the long term, I see myself working as a healthcare administrator for the National Prevention of Blindness plan in my country. With the high population of visually challenged individuals in the country, I consider this position to be a means to be most effective for my contribution to the aims of vision 2020: The Right to Sight. Working in this specific area would enable me use the knowledge I have acquired to undertake enlightenment campaigns and as well develop, implement and evaluate effective public eye care initiatives. With the low regard given to eye care in the public health system in Nigeria, the degree will also avail me the opportunity to focus on how best to reach the vulnerable community members and better allocate resources to underprivileged populations.

Please review and criticise. Thanks.
Emeka, since this essay is for a Chevening scholarship, it would be best to start off with an immediate response to the prompt. Make your second paragraph your opening statement instead. You can use the next paragraph that you developed as you have written it now. However, you need to add a third paragraph that will show how the UK government has existing projects in relation to eye care in your country. Find the UK agency in your country that assists in the development of eye care programs and funds the same activities. Describe how you plan to work with them in the promotion of the eye care industry in your country and why you expect that your partnership with the UK agency will result in a higher profile for Chevening and a heightened sense of public interest in the scholarship program. If possible, relate how the requirements of the UK agency work hand in hand with the training you will receive in the masters program. You cannot write this essay response without the UK connection. It is a requirement. Without it, you will not be accepted into the program. So before you finalize the content of this essay, make sure to do ample research on the UK connection. Then revise the essay according to my suggested format.

Home / Scholarship / Masters degree in Public Health for Eye Care from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine