What it means to me? Essay on Leadership and influence - question for Chevening Fellowship

mohit2k6123 2 / 6  
Question- Chevening is looking for individuals who are leaders or influencers in their fields. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count 500 words).

I realized the importance of leadership

As a person who went to boarding school from a small town to one of the biggest city in my state of Uttar Pradesh in India, at a tender age of 10 years, I realized the importance of leadership quite early in my life. Because for me leadership was all about taking initiative, leading the way , network, influence and motivate people and get them to work collectively for a common goal.

I explored my leadership tendencies first through sports. Cricket. It was a passion for me. I was determined to pursue my passion. Because of some circumstances, I didn't find a way into the cricket team of my class. I didn't lose hope. I gathered some prospective players from my class and started practicing with them, motivated them, convinced them and we made our separate team with . Through sheer hard work, strategy and team work, we started performing better than the original team in inter classes matches. I was in 7th standard then in 1993.

Another glaring example of leading from the front came when I found that the system of hostel mess was not efficient and qualitative and I participated in the election of mess manager and won. There I led the way for a through restructure of the weekly menu , added some special dishes and desert. Result was that everybody started liking mess food and utilized those extra hours looking for food outside the hostel, in their study and other activities. I was in 11th standard then in 1998.

Fast forward to 2018, I am leading BEEP (Building Energy Efficiency Program) launched by Ministry of Power, government of India for implementing energy efficiency measures in over 10,000 government buildings. My primary responsibility was to manage stakeholders , increase awareness, signing MoU with various ministries and departments. Leading a team of young professionals and motivating them for humongous task of implementing this program in time bound manner required a great deal of leadership and innovative initiatives on my part.

The biggest challenge in front of me, when I took charge , in implementing these measures was to collect the existing inventory data from such a large number of buildings in such a short time. And as those buildings were located across the length and breadth of India, it was a difficult task for the concerned regional teams. I then got an idea that why not develop an online platform where client itself will fill up the existing inventory data and based on that a draft proposal shall be generated online, eliminating the need for physical visit. It saved out time and resources and resulted in expedition of implementation of BEEP program.

Another leadership challenge came when I joined Raychem RPG company in 2017 as a sales head for their new product, Feeder Pillar, which is used for distribution of electricity by various state electricity board. My challenge was to get all regional teams on board and motivate them to promote this product to their existing clients. This was a difficult task as they were already occupied in sales of other product of company likes cable jointing and terminations. So what I did was to arrange a workshop at every regional office to convince them that this new product shall increase their profile and incentives and is not an extra work but should be seen as extra incentives. I also assured them that my team shall also give them leads for their products. This had a dominion effect and the number of leads from regional offices multiplied resulting in some very valuable orders from prestigious clients like Tata Power, Torrent Power and Indian Oil Corporation.
Mohit, kindly revise this essay to focus only on your 2017-2018 leadership experiences. As Chevening is looking for the best and the brightest future leaders, this is done by analyzing the most recent leadership roles of the applicant. So what happened when you were 10 years old does not factor into this discussion. As a leader, you must discuss not only your primary responsibilities, but also your trouble shooting and conflict resolution skills. Future leaders are not only negotiators, as you depict in your most recent leadership experiences, but also great problem solvers who know how to take the initiative in order to resolve a problematic situation. The last part of your essay that discusses your most recent leadership experiences should be the focal point of the discussion. These are the most relevant examples you can use to represent your response so it needs to be expanded in this essay. Everything else discussed before that is not helpful to your application essay. The last 2 paragraphs of this essay are relevant to the discussion and can be further developed in order to strengthen your claims. I already explained to you how to do that. Following my instructions will help you create a final form leadership essay that will at least have the reviewer seriously thinking about your leadership abilities in relation to the scholarship requirements and expectations.
cmartinez13 1 / 2  
This is a great topic, I think with some examples of what you discovered led you to great leadership would have made a stronger point. You did a great job of giving examples of how you led people and showed leadership, but what made you realize what great leadership is. What influenced you or had that impact? This would tie it to your leadership and what drove you to become a leader.
hanabanana 1 / 3  
Mohit, as far as I know, Chevening is asking for leadership examples in professional settings. Therefore, in my opinion the examples you put about cricket and hostel mess are not applicable. The last 3 paragraphs are all great examples though, but you should tie those experiences with how you would apply your leadership qualities in the scholarship program as well as in your future endeavors.
OP mohit2k6123 2 / 6  
After reading so many responses of you for leadership question, I was sure that the original essay wrote by me wouldn't please you, but I still went on because I was still not clear if I should include the school references in this essay.

After you disapproved my essay, I worked upon it and expanded it on the professional references only.
And you know what, I was called for the interview which is fixed on 3rd may.
Now I would like you to provide me some valuable tips on clearing the interview.
This fellowship is "Chevening Gurukul Fellowship for Leadership and Excellence"
Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Thank you for your kind words. For a new review, please make this thread urgent.
OP mohit2k6123 2 / 6  
Hi ,

As I told you earlier that I was shortlisted for the inteview for Chevening Gurukul Fellowship but unfortunately didn't get through it, so I am applying this year again.

Just wanted to know if I should keep the same essays or should make some changes? Your earlier response will be appreciated.

Mohit
You cannot use the same essays. You have to write new essays for each prompt. Make sure that you write fresh essays that highlights the improved skills or additional considerations that may have changed for you over the course of a year in relation to your new application. You can compare the content of your previous essay with the changes you will be mentioning and why these changes and updates should be well considered in regards to your new application. You have to show the reviewer that your circumstances have changed, improved, and that you are now more qualified to become a scholar under their program.

However, before you start to write the new series of updated essays, you have to make sure that the masters course you are applying for is actually in relation to a field that is supported by the Chevening program, has proof of UK participation in this field within your country, and that you have plans that will truly help to promote the close relationship of your country with the UK. If you fail to prove these parts in your updated essay, then you will again be short listed but not make it to the very end of the consideration process.
OP mohit2k6123 2 / 6  
Thanks for your feedback.

Just one intervention here is that I am not applying for Masters Course but for a fellowship for leadership and influence specifically for Indians.

Home / Scholarship / What it means to me? Essay on Leadership and influence - question for Chevening Fellowship