Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

Media Culture - MOTIVATION LETTER FOR SCHOLARSHIP, MASTERS IN HOLLAND

Chelchelch 1 / 2  
Hello, I'm writing my motivation letters to apply for master's degree in the Netherlands.
Also I need another motivation letter for this University, and I am already sending them my motivation letter for the degree programme.
So this scholarship motivation will be adding to it.
But I'm just posing the one for scholarship, so if any of you can help, please do.. I'm desperate.
Am I making a strong point?
FYI, I talked about my motivation to study new media by mentioning my school and teaching experience in the motivation letter for the programme.

University Master's Programme in Media Culture

Dear Admissions Director

I am writing this letter to express my interest in Master's programme on Media Culture at xxxx University starting in September, 2013. I will graduate from Korea xxxUniversity, School of Media in February 2013 and my degree focuses on media theories and persuasive communications. I also took several media classes in Canada which were highly project-oriented. Through my studies in both Korea and Canada, I became deeply fascinated by the limitless prospects of new media, and realised that I have countless questions to ask about this field.

My interest in art as a special medium of communication led me to take many art classes during my bachelor's programme. I aimed to find a way to incorporate art into media theories to enrich my major studies, and investing almost one-third of my credits to art classes was among the best choices I have made. Among art classes, 'Interactive Media Art' was the trigger that sparked my interest in new media. Through this class I discovered that new media allows an active interaction between the audience and the media, making the audience more prone to receive the messages. Because I have always been interested in the misrepresentation of reality on media, my fascination over new media's reciprocal relationship with the audience has been growing ever since.

The motivation to study new media was firmed into a determination during my exchange year in Canada. In 2011, I was selected by ISEP to be fully funded for two semesters. I conducted a media analysis project with 68 subjects from various nations. I wanted to observe how and why they consume news on their mobile devices and if the answers have any correlation with nationalities. I still remember the thrill when finally realised that there were actually four more groups that showed distinguishable consuming patterns. At the end of the exchange I was eager to study more about contemporary media and its relationship with the users.

Through my constant interaction with children, I was able to narrow down my interest in new media specifically on how to apply this knowledge into educational realm. Over the 5 years of teaching English to young students, I realised that their lives were overly dependent on games and the internet. What's more, they were very passive in using the web, not knowing how to obtain necessary information on those numerous websites. I grew to believe deeper studies on how to incorporate the interactivity of new media into education will be able to help our future generation to utilise new media in healthier ways.

I was very excited when I found out about Media Culture programme at xxxxand especially the class 'Game Culture'. Through this class, I would like to delve deeper into the minds of active young audience and the educational application of games and new media. Children's gaming has been a serious problem in South Korea to the point that government enacted a shut-down policy. Therefore I believe here in Korea researches on healthier use of new media are needed more than ever. I aim to produce innovative researches on how to better utilise new media, and by better I not only mean more effective, but more ethical and healthier. I hope to learn the skills to conduct researches through Master's programme at xxx and eventually contribute my ideas to the education and entertainment industry in and outside of Korea.

Moreover, the international composition of students at xxxx is another thrill to look forward to, because I will be able to yield better researches through sharing opinions and experiences with students from diversified cultural backgrounds. I believe my international experience of studying and living in Canada and Korea will allow me to quickly adjust and become an asset in the highly diverse environment in the Netherlands and xxxx.

My strong background in media studies and diverse experience in media art and industrial design will allow me to creatively approach the Problem-Based-Learning system at xxxx. I believe that both my multicultural and diverse academic backgrounds will allow me to successfully accomplish this challenge with a positive and global mindset.

Thank you for reviewing my application, and I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

xxxx

Home / Scholarship / Media Culture - MOTIVATION LETTER FOR SCHOLARSHIP, MASTERS IN HOLLAND