I have a mixed ancestry. My mother is Honduran, while my dad was Chinese. Hispanic Scholarship Fund.

memento 1 / 1  
Describe the world you come from--for example, your family, community, or school--and tell us how your Hispanic heritage shaped your life.
Please tell me what you think or any suggestions on what I could add.

I have a mixed ancestry. My mother is Honduran, while my dad was Chinese. He is dead now. I was born in Honduras to a very open family. Although my mother's family is mostly traditionally evangelical, my mother was not. This, plus the fact that my dad was an atheist, has helped me shape a world perspective from scratch, which is highly influenced by what I read, experience, and reflect on.

[...]
btrfly7 - / 15 6  
I have a mixed ancestry. My mother is Honduran, while my dad was Chinese. He is dead now. I was born in Honduras to a very open family. Although my mother's family is mostly traditionally evangelical, my mother was not. This, plus the fact that my dad was an atheist, has helped me shape a world perspective from scratch, which is highly influenced by what I read, experience, and reflect onupon .(Here, you could possibly add your thoughts as to whether this has positively or negatively affected the quality of your life in Honduras.) .

I grew up in a Chinese restaurant, well, in the floor above actually, until I was around ten. (What was it like growing up in a Chinese restaurant?) Then my mother, sister and I moved to a house of our own. By that time, my dad was already dead. He was killed in his own restaurant in Tegucigalpa, Honduras' capital, one month before he was expected to return to live with us. The reason he was living in Tegucigalpa, is that he and my mom had separated after a very serious physical fight. Because of this my childhood was also a little sad in addition to the fact that I did not have very many friends.)My childhood was a little sad. I did not have much friends.ThusTherefore, , I only concentrated in my studies. Because of my focus on academics, I have been the top student in my class since first grade.

Things changed when I changedtransferred schools. It was my first time in a bilingual school. Sure, I had had some English classes here and there, but I did not know much of the language, besides the basics. Nevertheless, the most important changeinfluence this new school had in my life has to do more with my persona. There,: I learned to value friendship, empathy and understanding of others.(Add why this change is important and perhaps give examples of friendship, empathy, and understanding of others

You're off to a good start here, just adding a bit more detail would certainly help the reader understand life in Honduras from your perspective a bit better, which is important here. Good going!
OP memento 1 / 1  
Thank you.

Home / Scholarship / I have a mixed ancestry. My mother is Honduran, while my dad was Chinese. Hispanic Scholarship Fund.