My mom went abroad to make a better future for me; QUESTBRIDGE biographical essay !

boredortega 1 / -  
Prompt: We are interested in learning more about you and the context in which you have grown up, formed your aspirations and accomplished your academic successes. Please describe the factors and challenges that have most shaped your personal life and aspirations. How have these factors caused you to grow?

I still remember saying goodbye to my mom at the airport all of those years ago. As a 9-year old I barely understood what was going on, my mom was leaving to another country and I was staying behind. My grandma tried to explain that my mother was leaving so that we could have a better future, 9-year old me pretended to understand. A few months later grandma gave me the news, I would get to be with my mom again! Finally I would have my family together again; little did I know that my mom wasn't coming back, I was the one being sent away. As excited as I was to be part of my mom's life once more, part of me wanted to stay in the place I had grown to call home, the place that held my childhood memories and the people I had grown to love. The whole experience seemed surreal, not only did I had to leave my family and friends behind; I had to start a new life in a different country with different customs and a different language. Was it really for the best? Did I have to leave everything I loved behind do that I could have a better life?

The first time I set foot on U.S. soil was to have my passport and visa checked. After having had to wait for hours on a never ending line of cars, getting out to stretch my legs, even in the scorching heat of what was now California, was a relief. I though back to the goodbyes shared between my family, friends and I, leaving them behind was one of the saddest experiences. I thought I had a good life in Mexico; I had everything that I needed, but I guess it wasn't enough; nevertheless I was thrilled to be reunited with my mom. After having our papers checked my aunt, grandma and I headed to her house for a few days before completing the last part of our journey to what I now call home.

Those few days with my aunt were exciting, everything was new and different. We went to yard sales, something that I had never seen in my life, I played with my cousins on their giant backyard filled with toys and I saw animals that were rare in Mexico, almost every day. The days passed quickly and soon we were heading to the LAX, my excitement grew with every passing second and soon became contagious in the car. Once again I was in an airport, except this time, I was the one getting on an airplane. We flew from Los Angeles to Indianapolis. The 4-hour long trip seemed to stretch forever. The closer we got to our destination the more scared I got. My family and friends were now part of my past and this new town, that got closer every minute, was my new present. My uncle, then a stranger, picked us up from the airport; my mom hadn't been able to get off from work. Luckily we didn't have to wait for long, her shift ended a few minutes, and in the meantime my uncle gave us a tour of the small town that was supposed to become my home. Our first stop was my school; the lights focused on the building gave it an eerie look. I had no idea how I would manage, since I didn't know English, how was I supposed to learn or make friends? As I was contemplating this, my uncle took us to pick up my mom at her work. She was standing outside, in the sidewalk eagerly waiting for us. I ran to her ecstatic that I was finally with her.

With my mom at my side I was introduced to my life in the U.S. My first day of school was terrifying, I had no idea how to interact with teachers and students, I tried to talk to them but without knowing the language it proved to be futile. Luckily some of the students were Hispanic and along with the ESL teacher I was able to find my way around the first day. The first couple of days were lonely, I tried to make new friends but I couldn't communicate with them. Living in the U.S was turning out to be a horrible experience; I wanted to go back to Mexico. As time went on I learned English and quickly became friends with my peers. When kids like me enrolled in the school I tried to help them to make their experience better than mine. It quickly became clear to me that hard work would help me overcome anything that blocked my path and that helping others was very fulfilling.
vsanford64 1 / 3 1  
' I thought back to the goodbyes shared between my family, friends and I, leaving them behind was one of the saddest experiences. '

" We went to yard sales, something that I had never seen in my life, I played with my cousins on their giant backyard filled with toys and I saw animals that were rare in Mexico, almost every day. " last phrase sounds a bit awkward

Overall I really like your essay :) You might want to elaborate more on your experience at school and how hard adjusting was
I still remember saying goodbye to my mom at the airport all of those years ago. As a 9-year old I barely understood what was going on, my mom was leaving to another country and I was staying behind. My grandma tried to explain that my mother was leaving so that we could have a better future, 9-year old me pretended to understand.

.... I feel you should have talked about how you felt that moment;
I still remember that trying moment saying goodbye to my mom at the airport. I was nine years old and couldn't understand the reason why she was leaving me to another country. However, I kept pretending that I did understand whenever my grandma said my mom went abroad because she wanted to make a better future for me.

Home / Scholarship / My mom went abroad to make a better future for me; QUESTBRIDGE biographical essay !