'money management skills' - on gap in formal education

morrm23 2 / 2  
Is there a gap in your formal education (something you'd like to know but haven't yet been taught)? What is it, and how will you make an effort to learn it in the future?

I have no doubt that the next four years of my life will be filled with excitement, new opportunities, and unforgettable experiences. Most adults reflect on their college days as some of the most memorable years of their lives, but the rising cost of education has presented new problems to even the most ambitious and determined of graduates. Instead of being free to start a new life, most graduates are burdened with debt - a word that is becoming more prevalent now than ever.

In order to be successful, you must posses effective money management skills. As a teenager myself, I can attest to the fact that it's not easy for adolescents to get as much satisfaction out of saving as one would on spending. Many of us have jobs, which means we are already making payments on vehicles, gas, and clothes. What happens to the rest of it? I'm sure I'm not alone in my ignorance of the differences between a mutual fund or a savings account. I would love to be more educated on these factors that will continue to affect my life, such as budgeting, investing, and the importance of saving. I am currently reading the book Learn to Create Your New American Dream, which has given me newfound insights. I have learned that there are hidden opportunities in just about every experience and that sacrificing now will allow you to reap greater rewards later. I often talk to my parents about money management skills, and they encourage me to focus on the long-term plan, instead of squandering my hard earned money on the instant gratifications of a new t-shirt or a movie ticket.

Investing and being able to live comfortably when we have a family of our own isn't what teenagers typically think about. For us, the future is this weekend, not twenty years down the road. A personal finance course would help us concentrate on the importance of the long-term. With the help of this class, I believe many graduates would be able to begin with a fresh start, free from the worries of debt.
Essay_Writer - / 7  
Melanie,

I can clearly see that you are good with words and you have put together a decent piece above.But my problem with the essay above is that it doesn't have the best beginning. Half way through the first paragraph and I'm beginning to wonder how does this relate to the question proposed?.... Infact the second para seems to be a better beginning for your essay.The key to a Scholarship essay specifically when you have a limited window in terms of the number of words, is to be very precise about your intentions and clearly answer the question proposed without trying to be poetic(the first para here seems unnecessary).

I would suggest remove the first paragraph, start off the essay with the second para as it is and add another para before the last one adding a few more points on how you intent to address the gap in education.

hope this helps....

best of luck..

Chet

Home / Scholarship / 'money management skills' - on gap in formal education