Motivation to commit my skills and knowledge to the service of others in Guatemala

pao cardona 1 / 1  

Chevening leadership and influence question

Hello everyone, I'm new in this. Please help me, and give me your feedback.

Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Despite having so much natural and cultural wealth in Guatemala, violence, poverty, and inequality are experienced in all the country. This reality has created in me a sense of responsibility, motivating me to commit my skills and knowledge to the service of others, recognizing the privilege of having access to higher education.

When I started my graphic design studies at university, I volunteered in an after school program for vulnerable children, to develop their skills and knowledge, in a safe and fun environment where they were protected from violence. During two years, I motivate children to CREATE and express themselves using art, and open their minds to other possibilities of study and work through illustrations workshops; which I consider to be my first action that inspired others.

Upon graduating from college, I started working at Food for the Hungry as communications and public relations coordinator. One of my responsibilities is to develop fundraising projects, where I have the opportunity to influence others by sharing our work and values and involve different audiences to work together in our activities.

Our last event was an exhibition of illustrations drawn / drawings made by children from Luminoche community, in collaboration with professional illustrators.
Through social media, we invited illustrators to participate as volunteers, motivating them to commit their skills for inspire children.
After the selection, we traveled to Luminoche community with 10 illustrators where we had a drawing workshop, teaching to 50 children how to express their dreams and ideas.

On that trip and during the following month I was in charge of the team of illustrators, who interpreted the drawings of the children into amazing artwork, coordinating the delivery times I was also making the necessary arrangements for the exhibition, such as engagement with sponsors, logistics, and promotion of the event. As a result: more than 100 people attended the exhibition, where we sold 90% of the available materials, raising enough funds to provide educational material to the school of Luminoche community.

Being responsible for all the staff and for the development of the activity has taught me to motivate volunteers and companies to commit to our work, vision, and values through their participation and support us in long-term projects; also to delegate important tasks to others, encourage them and recognize their valuable work.

I see my leadership in this way, creating spaces that gather different sectors to collaborate together for the same cause, motivating them to commit their skills and resources to the service of others, while we learn together.
Paola, this is a pretty strong theoretical essay. It is powerful in its conviction and it more than discusses an overview of your development as a leader an influencer in your country. However, it lacks the proper action referencing to help solidify the implied leadership and influencing traits that you have. It is too bad that you took a shortcut in the way that you referenced your leadership and influencing skills. If you had followed up the summarized statements with one example of each skill required, then the essay would have actually represented the prompt instructions that asked you to used examples of your leadership and influencing skills in order to explain why you are an up and coming leader and influencer in your country. Right now, that is sorely missing from this essay. If you can add those parts, your essay will be better and more prompt responsive. Since this is a leadership essay, you could start editing the work by removing the "we" references because the prompt calls for the use of the "I" pronoun in relation to only your leadership and influencing skills. This is not about group achievement, this is about individual achievement as a leader and influencer.
OP pao cardona 1 / 1  
@Holt thank you so much for your feedback!
What do you mean about "examples of each skill required"? Should I explain more explicitly how I was a leader in each situation?

Thank you.

Home / Scholarship / Motivation to commit my skills and knowledge to the service of others in Guatemala