MOTIVATION LETTER - MSC ECONOMICS; explain your professional qualifications and personal motivations

igee 1 / 1  
PROMPT
You must explain your professional qualifications and personal motivations, including why you want to participate in the study program, what you can give the program and the host university, and why you think you're a good fit.

You must pique the readers' interest and convince them of your suitability for the scholarship.
It should reflect your personality and include information and intriguing facts that demonstrate that you are a good fit for the position.
You should research the host university ahead of time. Show that you know the university well and what it has to offer.

LETTER OF MOTIVATION

With great enthusiasm, I am writing to indicate my interest in attending the one-year master's degree in Economics at the University of Granada in Spain. My goal is to be an economic researcher who can provide accurate and objective analyses of various economic issues. This program is the right fit to achieve this goal as it has a strong research component and would equip me with an in-depth understanding of core economic models and methods and the application of various research tools and techniques for economic analysis.

My first exposure to econometric research while studying Economics for my first degree fueled my desire to pursue graduate studies in economics and a career in economic research. As I studied different academic journals and research papers, I was intrigued by how insights from economics could be used to understand and propose solutions to real-world problems. Coming from a developing country with under-researched socio-economic challenges, the need for highly skilled researchers who can critically interrogate these complex challenges cannot be underemphasized. Hence, I am motivated to seek advanced study to learn more and be better equipped with cutting-edge academic and practical experiences.

I am suitable candidate for this program because I have succeeded in developing a comprehensive and fundamental understanding of economics during my academic career. By taking courses like Microeconomics, Macroeconomic, International Economics, and Development Economics, I have developed strong analytical skills, ability to think critically, and a better understanding of society and how the real world works. My undergraduate thesis on "Small and Medium Scale Enterprises: a Tool for Economic Development in Nigeria", which highlighted the importance of SMEs in developing solutions to socio-economic issues, developed my analytical research and writing skills and also made me appreciate the universal relevance of economic investigation. In addition, I have a good knowledge of statistics and proficiency in using statistical software like SPSS AND EVIEWS. After my undergraduate study, I carried out a research internship at the Centre for Research Management which further confirmed my passion for research. During this experience, I gained invaluable skills in gathering primary and secondary data, managing and analyzing a large amount of data, and editing and reviewing academic literature. I was also part of a five-month research fellowship at Dataville Research LLC - a policy think tank. Currently, I work as a Research Analyst at xx. My work involves conducting macroeconomic analysis and research relating to mobility, impact investment, and digital innovation to support business decisions. I have also contributed to developing two yet-to-be-published papers, namely "xx" and "xx," to inform policy decisions.

Mainly, I am keen to contribute meaningfully to research work focused on poverty and inequality, globalization, women empowerment, social innovations, and entrepreneurship. Therefore, I would like to choose the "Macroeconomics Itinerary". These taught modules, including Macroeconomics, Research Methods in Macroeconomics, and International Economics, will equip me with practical solid and advanced theoretical knowledge. The hands-on learning approach, accessible internship opportunities, and seminar activities that are part of the program greatly interest me. They will enable me to have a broader and more practical view of economics. I assume that Professor xx, whose research interest is in the field of poverty and inequality, would be the best person to supervise my master thesis as I would also like to focus on that area. I am most keen to understand how poverty and inequality can be reduced and sustained economic growth achieved through appropriate policy reforms to achieve improved welfare and shared prosperity among the most vulnerable, including women. In addition, immersing in the Spanish culture and interacting with inhabitants as well as others from different cultures will improve my multicultural competencies and prepare me to be a global citizen.

Upon return to Nigeria after my study, I will work as an economic researcher in a research think tank. I will use my new skills and knowledge to develop new models for deep analysis of economic problems to help governments, policymakers, and businesses use the findings and recommendations for evidence-informed policies. I also aim to leverage this master's degree to obtain a PhD in economics to enhance my research career. I am confident that the University of Granada will adequately prepare me to move forward in this direction.

Asides from my professional and academic experience, I love volunteering because I believe in being the change that I want to see in my society. I currently volunteer for Bluvard Leadership Initiative to train young women in digital skills and Fiyingold Foundation to provide female students with school materials. These experiences have developed my skills in the area of leadership, communication, and teamwork. There is no doubt that I am a well-rounded person, and if given the scholarship I will become a much better person who is capable of engendering development and contributing to society. I believe my diverse interests and skills will make me a great fit in your intercultural environment. I look forward to becoming a positive asset to the program. Thank you for your consideration.
Never tell the reviewers that you are an ideal candidate for the course based on your previous course studies. Rather, offer those for their consideration. It is a matter of properly framing your academic background. However, I have to caution you about simply listing the related courses that you completed. That is because merely completing the courses will not make you a notable candidate. Now, if you have proven academic excellence through academic merit recognition, then you should definitely be highlighting those achievements as those will prove your ability to excel academically as a masters student. Merely completing the courses indicates only an average and unremarkable accomplishment. If possible, focus on your work exprience to convince the reviewers instead.

Tie your research work exprience directly with the course requirements. Proving you are a notable professional can definitely change the game for you. The research skills you have are what the reviewers will be interested in since that is your motivation for the masters course. Focus on continued research as it will relate to your return to Nigeria and the improvement of the field you participate or plan to participate in.

The main problem that the essay has though, is that you fail to show a true knowledge of the university course and its offerings. You have delivered only a superficial reference that does not show a true familiarity with the course. How can you do this?Go back to my earlier statement about the continued research. The relationship between your continued research and the university's ability to assist you in its completion will be key to your presentation.
OP igee 1 / 1  
Thank you very much, Holt. I will work on your corrections.

Home / Scholarship / MOTIVATION LETTER - MSC ECONOMICS; explain your professional qualifications and personal motivations