My motivation, passion and values as a person.

inok26 5 / 16  
Okay guys, please take a look at my last essay among the series of essays for my MCF scholarship application. I will appreciate constructive criticism as to how to improve upon this draft. Thanks in anticipation.

Q1: We want to hear what motivates you and what you are passionate about. Please write about a topic that is important to you, and reflects who you are/your values.

it is something that matters to me

Plagued by ineffective leadership from Libya to Niger, Sudan to Zimbabwe, and Liberia to Kenya, little wonder Africa is still being regarded a developing continent. Worried at the rising spate of uninspiring leadership particularly in the African continent, I have chosen to dwell on: The making of an effective leader.

In Nigeria for instance, we find ill equipped individuals occupying positions of leadership. From government to corporate organizations, to religious houses and civil society groups, effects of poor leadership is glaringly obvious; civil unrest, unsatisfied/unmotivated employees, religious factional groups to mention a few. If this persist, Africa may lose out on realizing its true potentials and her youths won't feel challenged to channel their creative energies towards making positive lasting impacts.

Propelled by my desire to enthrone effective leadership within my sphere of influence and fueled by my insatiable quest for knowledge, I recently completed the YALI Network online course on Servant Leadership to have a grasp of what it entails to be a true leader. Being the Financial Secretary of my church's youth association avails me the opportunity to practice the principle of honesty, prudence and accountability; these are values that I hold dear as an individual.

I believe these baby steps of mine will have a ripple effect on those whom I currently lead and inspire them to aspire to become true leaders themselves as Africa and Nigeria in particular is in dire need of such individuals.
Ugbashi, you have written a very passionate essay here. The problem, is that it does not reflect a clear motivation that directs towards who you are and what your values are. Which of the two is your true motivation? The ineffective leadership of your country, or the making of an effective leader? You need to pick one and focus the development of that essay on that topic. If you can clarify your subject, you should be able to better reflect the motivation for your actions in relation to your personal values. From the looks of it, you are motivated by the desire to become an effective leader in Africa in the future. So that is your motivation. How does this motivation find itself reflected in your personal values, which in turn, has helped to create the person you are today? Do not treat this essay as a personal statement. Instead, use a reflective tone in writing it. Don't just tell us about the course that you took. Rather, explain to us how this course relates to your motivation and why completing this course helped you developed your personal character and personal values as well. Everything in the essay has to come full circle. So it is motivation, personal reflection, then values. That is the order of writing that you have to follow in order to clearly respond to the prompt.
OP inok26 5 / 16  
WOW!! you offered really great insights. I thought I was done and dusted, I shall take into consideration your points raised and do a corresponding review. I really appreciate your help all through this process.

Cheers!

Home / Scholarship / My motivation, passion and values as a person.