Motivation letter for Stipendium Hungaricum - BSc Computer Science

riinas 1 / -  
The goal is to answer: "Why are you a suitable candidate?"
My motivation letter :

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this letter to express my interest in studying at Hungarian university. I am a high school graduate who maintained a 4.0 GPA over my years of studying. With the help of this scholarship, I will be able to take one step towards my goal.

My passion. The time I mistook a semicolon for a comma marked the start of my passion for coding. I learned HTML coding when I was in the 1st grade of high school. For the assignment that was worth about 30 points of my grade, the teacher assigned us to write HTML code for a basic website with the design of our choice. I put a lot of effort into the code and tested it, but something was wrong with my code that it didn't work properly. It took a few hours for me to finally realize that I have mistaken a semicolon for a comma all this time. After I fixed it, everything worked smoothly. Since that day I have become really passionate about coding and I realized that this is what I want to do my whole life as a professional.

Throughout my high school years, I have successfully studied Physics, Mathematics, and Information Technology at an advanced level as a preparation for university. I obtained a's and b's for my IGCSE and AS level examinations. Besides, I have also joined the official Programming club of our school and worked on developing the school website. Apart from academic experience, I do volunteer frequently. I also run a Facebook page that shares information about wellbeing and the importance of mental health as a hobby.

Nowadays, depression and mental health issues have become a major impact on young generations' performance. More than half of those who were diagnosed with depression refuse to talk about their problems openly. Therefore, my goal is to create a complex website that will be useful for teenagers. I believe users will be able to get information and share their problems with others through this website. Thus, by studying Computer Science, I will obtain the fundamentals of informatics.

I want to study in Hungary because it is a diverse, multicultural area with an international spirit. Furthermore, Hungary offers higher quality education through their universities with remarkable histories of operating for many years. Aside from these great factors, what really motivated me were Hungarian inventors. Prezi is one of the platforms that is widely used throughout the world and it was founded by the Hungarian software company. It will be an honour for me to study in such an innovative country.

Studying in a foreign country can be challenging. Starting with language barriers, there will be struggles. I could overcome those challenges by preparing myself in advance, by learning the language beforehand, and so on. Also, learning the discipline of computer science is difficult for most students; therefore I will continue to take introductory online courses to prepare myself.

Thank you for considering my application.

Yours sincerely, X

(Thank you)
I will be able to take one step towards my goal.

Since this is your only opportunity to impress the reviewers with the importance of your goal, be definitive in presenting it. Right off the bat, tell them what the goal is, why it is important, and how it will affect your future. Summarize the detailed explanation to follow because the reviewer will use the summary to assess if your letter is worth reading to the end or not.

My passion.

Good show for the development of your interest. There is a good reference to the extra curricular advancement of your interest by joining the school club. The problem is, you have not done enough to show that you are actually passionate about learning about coding. Beyond the regular classes in school and the club membership, there are no notable achievements, awards, or participation in the coding world to highlight the degree of your passion and possible success as a future programmer. You only present a very basic interest in it actually, based on what I have read in the paragraphs so far.

There is no clear connection in your statements regarding the relevance of your hobby, the mental wellbeing of your FB page members, and coding / informatics. Add more information to the point where the connection can be made back to Computer science.

Home / Scholarship / Motivation letter for Stipendium Hungaricum - BSc Computer Science