"Multilingual, learning disabled brother" - How I overcame difficulties in my life.

delilahcdeleon1 4 / 9  
In my life I have learned to overcome difficulties. These difficulties have helped me develop the strength, skills, and character needed to succeed.

To begin with academically, it takes more for me to fully grasp new concepts. I have to study harder and spend extra time reviewing my work; none-the-less, this does not stop me from holding high scholarly expectations for myself. I was in English for Speaker of Other Language classes, until the second grade, when after much studying I proudly tested out of them. It was my desire to remain in the classroom and learn what my peers were learning. By doing so I had to study harder but it was worth it. The value of hard work has been taught to me from my mom, who raised my brother and me alone, and taught us the value of education.

Being multilingual is the skill I am proud of; it has enabled me to help others. The languages I speak, read and write are English, Spanish, and French. With my ability to speak Spanish I have assisted teachers by translating for students who do not speak English. Likewise, in the community I have interpreted as well as translated for Spanish speaking people. I decided to study another language, French, as to assist more people. It is a wonderful feeling to use my talent in order to help others.

My learning disabled brother, Alex, who graduated this June, taught me perseverance. Alex is severely dyslexic; however, my mother never gave up on him. She knew that he was smart and told him to always striving for the best. Seeing Alex strive so relentless at school yet none-the-less, make just passing grades was reason enough for me to push myself. In my family we have learned delayed gratification, passing up a little now to obtain a greater reward in the future. He has been and children like him will always be my motivation to become a teacher who not only cares but who will make a difference in there lives.
In my life I have learned to overcome difficulties. These difficulties which have helped me develop the strength, skills, and character needed to succeed.

To begin with, academically, it takes more for me to fully grasp new concepts.

By doing so, I had to study harder but it was worth it. The value of hard work has been taught to me by my mom, who raised my brother and me alone, and taught us the value of an education.

Being multilingual is the skill that I am proud of; it has enabled me to help others.

She knew that he was smart and told him to always strive for the best.

Seeing Alex strive so relentlessly at school yet none-the-less , make just passing grades was reason enough for me to push myself.

He has been, and children like him will always be, my motivation to become a teacher who not only cares but who will make a difference in their lives.

You don't mention until the end of your essay, that you want to become a teacher. I think you should mention this in the beginning too, so it all ties together. Being bilingual will be a big plus as a teacher!

Home / Scholarship / "Multilingual, learning disabled brother" - How I overcame difficulties in my life.