Networking is a form of mutual interaction for the aim of connections or personal advancements

FELIOLUWATOBI 3 / 1  
CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP: NETWORKING QUESTION

Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills who will engage with the Chevening community ...

Networking is a form of mutual interaction for the aim of connections or personal advancements to develop one's career. Networking goes beyond the wonders of technology, it deals with excellent interpersonal and communication skills which I have gained over time. My journey of networking started as an Assistant Head of Class and Female Farm Coordinator in my university days, familiarizing myself with my colleagues, senior colleagues, lecturers and researchers was the first thing I did because I couldn't work independently. Through this, I was able to share the vision I have with them and how the goals of the department can be attained. I communicated the needs of my level mates to the Agricultural Economics Students Association. I was able to work closely with my lecturers who were able to guide me because they were more experienced in my field and that enabled me to develop my research skills.

During my National Youth Service Corps in the Systems Unit, University of Jos Library, Plateau State, Nigeria, my networking skills enabled me to reach out to the students and staffs in the university through Information and Communication Technology. As one of the organizers for the impacting seminar titled "Open Access for Open Collaboration'', I gave personal demonstration and assistance to the attendees. Major presentations given were Open Access Resources: Basic Challenges, Benefits and Retrievals Processes, Electronic Databases: A Supplement to print Based Resources, Online Tools for Collaborative Learning, Mobile Application for 21st Century. The Open Access Resources enable free availability and unrestricted use of research and scholarship, the challenges identified were professional skills, inadequate knowledge of open access by the university community, low commitment, internet access, journal's quality, bypass of peer review and doubts about honesty.

The attendees were duly informed about the academic and economic benefits of Open Access Resources. Information can be assessed from any site with wireless connection, equity of learning in poor and rich nations and they can enjoy savings from switching to Open Access Models as the basis for scholarly communication. There was intellectual stimulation at the end of the seminar; questions were entertained for the advancement of the university in research. We however made them understand that these Open Access Resources is of significant value for teaching, learning and research purpose and that being free to access doesn't necessarily mean they are easy to find, they have to pay for them.

On the 29th of July, 2016, I attended a short training in Saroafrica International Company consisting of the Subsidiaries (Saro-Agrollied, Saro-Agrosciences, Saro-Lifecare, Saro-Pharma, and Agri-seed Co) where I and my fellow associates met with the Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Rasheed Sarumi and other managing directors of the Saro group. He spoke about the company's values, mission and vision and he got diverse ways of defining success from us as a way of improving lives from farms to homes. With my current employment as a logistics personnel in True Rebel Company, I build close network with the various departments and that has indirectly improved the health of our clients by buying our brands which include slim tea, flat tummy tea that are produced from natural and herbal products which are free from chemical exudates.

It is a great opportunity to be a member of the Chevening community; it will be an avenue to meet with other Chevening scholars from various countries who are agriculture inclined. I will be devoted to encourage and assist other scholars who are less privileged to further their education. It will a chance to share ideas, knowledge and learn from experiences which I can adopt to ensure agricultural sustainability and food security in Nigeria.

The essay is pretty long, I will still shorten it.
hanadyz 5 / 8 3  
Very good so far, but as you said you still need to shorten it. I think the fourth paragraph which takes about the attendees is required to be summarized. You do not need to talk about their outcomes. Otherwise, overall sounds good. Keep up the good work! (Y)

Home / Scholarship / Networking is a form of mutual interaction for the aim of connections or personal advancements