Networking can pave the way to engage each other in the community - Chevening Scholarships

FatemahEbrahimi 5 / 11  

Networking skills question - Chevening Scholarships

In my opinion, network can pave the way to engage each other in the community, and to have impact to lead others in their chosen areas through strong coordination and cooperation of a group members. As I have established my strong academic and professional networking through active participation in the community, exchange of ideas and extensive debates. From academic perspective, I have applied my networking skills, with participation in more than twenty seminars and workshops in our university, which had been held by national and international organizations. For instance, I had participated in British Parliamentary Debate (BPD) in 2013. The national round had held in Kabul, with participation of almost 2600 debaters from more than 25 Universities around the country. Where, in final round, I had the opportunity to meet chief of Party of Afghanistan Social Organization (ASO). He inspired with my intensive communication and information. And, he asked me if I could work as intern with their NGO after my graduation. I started my career soon after graduation as intern and in fact, I realized the crucial impact of networking in professional growth of my colleagues and fellows.

From professional employment perspective, I have effectively developed my networking and engaged as court management specialist with national and international agencies, such as the Supreme Court (SC), Ministry of Justice (MOJ), USAID, GIZ, JSSP-INL, and many other private sectors like Afghanistan Independent Bar Association (AIBA) and the Adam Smith consultancy. I had the opportunity to show my networking skills, first when with a team of specialists, I had to conduct Afghanistan Court Administration System (ACAS) assessment in all provinces. Through an effective cooperation, we could influence the SC and our donor, on the need for establishment of a united Case Administrative System. Thus, a united, formal and effective Case Administrative System was established.

From my interpersonal relation perspective, I have always remained in contact as a civil and women rights activist within community. I have membership of three strong women's networks such as, the Afghan Women Network (AWN) and Empowered Women Organization (EWO). For instance, as a representative of EWO I have participated in a women rights conference in Kabul. I could clearly explain the EWO and our effective contributions regarding empowerment of women's economy. Also, two women that have had their own clothing shops, were invited, to state the contributions they received. Hence, donors such as TAWANMANDI and micro finance banks interested to our activities and become our future partners.Also, our activities were expanded to two other provinces as well.

I do believe what I have mentioned above are samples on how the networking skills were supposed to be utilized in order to make a positive influence. In the future, I will devote my opportunity to developed my networks with the Chevening community to keep us connected with each other in post the Chevening program. The network that I have built will definitely have mutual benefits to all the Chevening awardee, future scholars and alumna, throughout cooperation and mentorship.
Fatemah, you have only enumerated your membership in various networks. You have not shown how you have used these networks within your career, on an individual instead of team basis. Mostly, your discussion tells me about how you became a member of the network and what it is about. The most important of these networks, that you should be focusing the essay on, are the ones connected to your profession. Sadly, all you did was enumerate the network rather than showing these networks in action in the performance of your duties.

In actuality, the reviewer will be looking at your professional network more than your social or college level networks because of its relevance to your masters degree scholarship application. Therefore, it would be better if you revise the essay to discuss your professional network. You should offer examples of how these networks have helped you during your career, either in resolving issues or advancing your career perspectives. If you can do that, then the reviewer will see the potential in your current profession and how your network will be able to assist you and the future Chevening scholars within the same field / profession in the future. You must also develop your concluding statement with an enhanced reference to the function of your existing and future network with the Chevening scholarship system.
Excel2017 - / 9 6  
@FatemahEbrahimi

Dear,

Reading through your essay I found interesting the various organizations you listed as your network, but this does not fully address the prompt. How have you utilized your membership at the Afghan women network and Empowered women organization to achieve set goals and objectives. Meeting the chief of Party of Afghanistan Social Organization (ASO) was a great opportunity, how have you been able to engage him to accomplish other objectives that could benefit your organization or the public? Your internship at the NGO was an opportunity for you to meet influential people, if so, how did you manage this network during and after your internship?.

The Last paragraph seems confusing, "I do believe what I have mentioned above are samples on how the networking skills were supposed to be utilized in order to make a positive influence. In the future, I will devote my opportunity to developed my networks with the Chevening community to keep us connected with each other in post the Chevening program. The network that I have built will definitely have mutual benefits to all the Chevening awardee, future scholars and alumna, throughout cooperation and mentorship".

The first line implies that you are unsure of how to address the prompt, "Samples"? kindly go through this paragraph again.

Home / Scholarship / Networking can pave the way to engage each other in the community - Chevening Scholarships