In networking terms, what matter is quality rather than quantity. Networking essay for Chevening

norytyas 2 / 2  
Hi! hope you guys can give me correction of my Networking essay for Chevening Scholarship Application. Thank you :)

focus on keeping and developing communication

I believe that in networking terms, what matter is quality rather than quantity. It is not about how many people we are connect with, but how we focus on keeping and developing communication with related people or organization in order to improve our performance in professional life.

My first networking grew after I followed a training program with the theme "Merchandize Branding and Marketing by Utilizing Local Resources" took place in JICA Okinawa, Japan. I was so excited joining the training as its contents were really related to my organization's mission. I was thinking that I had to maintain good contact with the lecturers in order to get information and knowledge about Small and medium industries (SMI) and Nago Agri Park development, that has similar development scheme as SMI's center in Indonesia.

The networking door was finally open when the lecturers said they were really impressed of my presentation and they said they will go to Indonesia in the end of the year. They are the president of Kurabito.Co.Ltd and the president of Landbrain.Co.Ltd whose their companies are focusing on SMI products and social development. After returned to Indonesia, I kept good communication by email with them through the coordinator of the training, since two of lecturers cannot really fluent in English. Besides discussed and arranged their visitation plan to Indonesia, I was actively asking about agro products innovation development. Finally, in November 2016, two of lecturers and the coordinator came to Jakarta to take a brief view of resources in Indonesia. In returns, when I had holiday in Osaka, the president of Kurabito.Co.Ltd spared his time to meet me then take me to one of his product's market. Even though there was a language barrier between us, we were try to speak in English and Japanese as best as we could.

However, I still maintain to keep good contact with them by using social media such as email, Facebook, and Instagram. More than that, I keep sent emails to the training coordinator to connect me with someone who can explain of how is the development process of Nago Agri Park. After that, the staff of Landbrain.Co.Ltd answered my question and she was giving me information that I need. Surprisingly, she was even willing to speak to Nago City Government if there is a cooperation initiative from Indonesia. I am sure that these would not happened if I was not continuously keep good networking with them.

I hope there will be some adaption between each concept of Japan and Indonesia regarding to both SMI and SMI's center development. Moreover, I hope that in the future my result of this networking can encourage my organization in doing cooperation with either Japan Government or organization in developing SMI's center. By becoming Chevening student, I believe I can broaden my networking since I will be surrounded by people with different backgrounds, also there will be many events to share knowledge and ideas which can be useful for myself and my organization.
Dewi, I do not know where you got the idea that quality of contacts is more important than quantity. Both are of equal importance because if you only have one set of contact to speak of, as you do in this essay, then you cannot honestly say that you have a true network in place that can help you advance your career or assist you in certain aspects of your career that this single contact may not be able to help you with. That is why this essay will not work. You need to show how you interconnect within your workplace to various other companies and organizations that are related to your profession. You cannot rely on just one visit from 2 people with the same interest in your company and call that a network. That was a client call, not a networking event. So you need to come up with at least 1 or 2 more career related contacts to represent a full network that you are cultivating, using, and sharing with Chevening in the future. You forgot that part didn't you? That is why you cannot say that one contact creates a network. Chevening has an existing network of international organizations, associations, and offices through their graduate scholars. The essay that you are presenting will not be able to compete with the other networking essays that indicate numerous important contacts within varying fields and professions coming from other applicants. Review the other networking essays here so you will see what you are up against and why you need to have more than one simple contact represented in your essay.
Sophytrick 2 / 6  
You need to correct your English. For instance, ".., we were try to speak in English and ..." should be "we tried to speak in English and Japanese"

"I am sure that this would not happened if ..." should be "Am sure this wouldn't have happened if I didn't maintain communication with them"

Home / Scholarship / In networking terms, what matter is quality rather than quantity. Networking essay for Chevening