NTU Scholarship Essay: The Value of Self-Discipline

agb2k 1 / -  

Describe, in less than 300 words, the values and beliefs you hold strongly to.

Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions.

The human mind is wired to take the least complicated route by default. If given a choice between sitting around all day watching films or actually doing something productive like studying for an upcoming exam or heading to the gym, the mind will always lean towards the least demanding option but I believe that when a person is truly driven, he is able to overcome this negligence. All that's left within his mind is the need to prevail. This self-discipline is what separates the innovative from the mediocre and contributes to the gradual betterment of their skills. These are the people that shape our future despite all of the obstacles life has thrown at them and I strive to be more like them every day.

I have to admit, self-discipline does take time and it can be difficult but based on my experience, it's definitely worth the struggle. As an adolescent in the 21st century, distractions are extremely prevalent from mobile phones to social gatherings with friends. There have been times I have taken the opportunity to have fun rather than work hard and, more often than not, I've genuinely regretted it. As I began to adapt to the academically intense A-Levels, I truly understood the value of a good work ethic. I honestly believe that with a good work ethic and strong self-discipline there are no limits to the abilities of a person. I am confident that these qualities I have gained over time will not only lead to my success in Nanyang Technological University but will also help me become a valuable member of our society.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
Agb2k,

I think your essay is headed in the right direction. I would propose, though, trying to cut down your sentences. While a lot of people think that admission or scholarship essays should be long and daunting, it should instead flow naturally. Avoid over explaining your thoughts, especially because you only have 300 words to catch the attention of the reader. Short and sweet will always get your audience.

For instance, let's revise the first sentence of your second paragraph. You could have said:

Self-discipline, admittedly, is a tedious task. But once triumphed, it's worth it.

What I did was not only compress the thought into a smaller or shorter structure, but I also made sure that there were necessary pauses to make the sentence easier to digest. You should as well consider reviewing your grammar and punctuation rules before proceeding.

Home / Scholarship / NTU Scholarship Essay: The Value of Self-Discipline