'offspring of working professionals' - First Generation Award Essay for Questbridge

AU0594 15 / 31  
First Generation Award:
Question: Please discuss what it means to you to be among the first generation in your family to attend college. How might your perspective and experience differ from those of other college students? (300 word limit)

Please be honest with your opinions about this essay, dont sugarcoat anything! Thanks for your help!

As I've matured, I have come to realize that even though my mother never attended college, she still has much to offer intellectually. My mom is linguistically gifted; she knows Spanish, English (even though she still has minor pronunciation problems and needs to learn a little more vocabulary), Italian, and French. She also understands Portuguese. How many of my friend's parents can equate to that? If my mother was able to accomplish so much without a college education, I can't even begin to fathom what I can accomplish with one. I have seen what the lack of a proper education can do; I have listened to my mom complain about back-pains while plopping into bed after an exhausting day of scrubbing toilets. I am no longer ashamed of this because it has led me to where I am today, but I thank God for the college education I'll receive; it'll impede my children from ever having to see their mother suffer this way.

As a first-generation college student, I'll show my eternal gratefulness towards the college that gave me a chance to make my mom proud by taking advantage of all the opportunities that I am provided with. I may not be the daughter of a Movie star, but God willing, I can guarantee that whatever college I attend will someday proudly say " Did you know Arianna Ulloa studied here?!" Everyone has different motives for looking forward to their college experience; I'm looking forward to a time in my life where I'll be able to receive the same education that offspring of working professionals are receiving, a time where I won't have to comfort myself by saying that I've made the best of what I was given because I'll know that from then on, I will be receiving the best.
Rechy 11 / 73  
Your essay properly answers the prompt.
Moms are great sources of inspiration, aren't they?
While I was reading your essay the first time, I didn't spot any errors known to me.
Could you also help me with my Common App essay?

Home / Scholarship / 'offspring of working professionals' - First Generation Award Essay for Questbridge