Old students associations; network can help overcome some of life's challenges

stevekizire 3 / 3  
Hello members,

I intend to apply for Chevening Scholarship for 2019/2020. Kindly go through my networking essay and advise me

Chevening Scholarship Network essay

One of the lessons that I have learnt in life is that having as many people as possible one knows in different spheres of life is enough to help one overcome some of life's challenges.

When I was at Makerere University Kampala for my undergraduate studies, I admired fellow students who were members of their Secondary schools Old Students associations. This was because my secondary school did not have an active Old Students association at the university partly because there were only a few students from the school who made it to university. My strong love for networking made me to go to old students associations for my friends' former schools, so as to interact with them and know more about what they deliberate on whenever they meet.

In 2012 I decided to open a Whatsapp group for old students of my secondary school called Mackay College Nateete which I called MACONA. I started with 10 members and I encouraged them to send through contacts of all old students they knew of so as to grow the network. The group membership grew to 100 people, and I encouraged members to share ideas of how we could use the group to improve our former school through fundraising for infrastructural projects. Many ideas were gathered however the group collapsed after 1 year of existence because some members had started to use it for personal gains.

After graduating from university, mobilized three former students of my primary school. I convinced them to start a Whatstapp group that brings together formers students of our primary school so that we could assist each other courtesy of career diversity of members. I opened the group on 10th October 2016 with 5 members, which grew to 120 in one month. We used the group to leverage on each member's profession to offer free professional guidance to members. The group comprised of Land Surveyors, Doctors, Techers, Bankers, Lawyers, Businessmen, and Civil Engineers among other professionals. In 2017 I collaborated with other members and we registered the group as a company limited by guarantee and named it Mirembe Old Students Association Limited (MOSA).

I was appointed as the Advisor of the newly formed association because of the role I played from inception to registration of the group. Through the association, we organize community outreach activities where we sensitize primary school students on HIV/AIDS prevention, wealth creation through saving and career guidance. I use the career guidance sessions to advise students to make the right career choices, and to also interest them in pursuing a career in real estate.
maedeh93 2 / 5 1  
Hi Kizire,
It is better to talk about your professional and educational networks as well.They also need you to make multiple references to the Chevening community and what benefits you wish to gain after accessing their network.
OP stevekizire 3 / 3  
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have two networking essays, i post the second option for advise.
Kizire, the point of the essay is not to explain how you establish your networks, the objective is to explain how you do the following:

1. Establish a network
2. Maintain the network
3. Use the network

Your presentation only answers point number 1 and then gets stuck there. You don't show a use for your network in any form. Neither do you establish how you maintain the network at present. It appears that you are only good at trying to establish networks but not at maintaining and using these to the point where the network manages to grow from within your profession outwardly. This is not a proper networking essay. It is not useful.

I am bothered now because you said you wrote 2 versions of this essay and this is the one you chose to post for advice. I assume the first one was an even worse version than this so you should not even think of using one over the other or combining both at this point to create a new essay. Instead, read the samples here first so that you can come to understand what the networking essay is all about and what proper information needs to be presented. Only when you are clear on those aspects should you attempt to write a new, relevant networking essay.

Home / Scholarship / Old students associations; network can help overcome some of life's challenges