Opening new avenues to materialize my dreams - review my Chevening application question response

Tanveer Ahmed 3 / 7 2  
Chevening is looking for individuals who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

my leadership and influential qualities

The intent of this is to succinctly elaborate situations, contemporary events, competencies and skills to facilitate you to assess my leadership and influential qualities. Being lived in a remote area which get inundated by the River Chenabiver Chenab almost every year, I had yearned like other inhabitants to get rid of this destitution and stand among highly educated persons. My leadership capabilities improved, developed in my professional and social-civic phases of life. Firstly, I would like to elucidate it professionally. Just after graduation, I got a job as an Assistant Planning Engineer in China State Construction Engineering Corporation, at New Islamabad International airport project. This state concern mega project has several problems and challenges for project control team comprising on me and Planning Manager. We were assigned two huge tasks i.e. To get an extension of time for the project as it took thrice duration than contractual duration and second substantial completion of project within the deadline of Prime Minister. In the first effort, we submitted the interim EOT case to Mott Macdonald (Consultant) which rejected and our Planning Manager went back to Canada, leaving me in the lurch.

This drastic time provided me an ideal platform to exploit my competences, leadership guts and knowledge. I developed a comprehensive plan for project execution by utilized project time management skills. I learned, developed influencing qualities from the high virtuoso, hone intrinsically leading qualities and practiced them. Reckoning my abilities, potential Project Director asked all the stakeholder, Engineer, site staff to attend my lectures which I delivered on daily and weekly basis to expedite project progress and motivated individual to meet targets. I contended and impressed Consultant, client CAA (Civil Aviation Pakistan) though my mediation, interpersonal skills and effective decisiveness during predicaments in work. Finally, when I submitted grand EOT with irrefutable evidences, our organization got an extension with, associated with a cost of 6 billion. This accompanied with appreciation from my organization and I am Planning Incharge of 80 million (USD) project merely with 2-year experience.

Secondly, I would like to demonstrate the positive impact which I have pierced among the adolescents of my village. In the that desolated area families, undermine the importance of education due to scarce source of subsistence, I invigorate them to chase their dream. I have developed a small community in which I usually addressed them though motivational speeches and resolve their problems. This thing yielded positive impact and everyone there is competing with kids of privileged cities.

In summation of all, it is intimated that one can hone and ameliorate his skills, competencies through knowledge and exposure he gains. Specialized knowledge and milieu full of learning, research can open new avenues to materialize my dreams. I believe I will make it happen through Chevening.
Tanveer, unfortunately, you can only post one essay per thread in this forum so I will only be advising you on the leadership and networking essay that you posted. The networking essay needs to be deleted from your original post and posted as a new thread. Please try to do that or ask admin to help you do it because your violation could result in the suspension of your account.

Going back to your leadership essay. You are trying to sound authoritative in your manner of presentation. However, that tone does not work in this essay. You need to have a lower tone of voice. One that shows respect for the reviewer, who is in a position of authority over you, and shows that you have a friendly demeanor. You have to tell your story as opposed to filing a formal report, which is the current tone that your essay has.

It would be best if you could focus on just one story that will accurately depict both your leadership and influencing skills in either a professional or social manner. Do not use two different events for the representation of your response. When you offer 2 differing stories for a single purpose essay, the reviewer will not be able to connect the two stories into a single purpose in his mind. He will not remember both stories, he will only remember one. By consolidating your story into just one narration, you will stand a better chance of having him remember who you are, what your leadership story is and how your influencing skills made a difference in the story. It creates a stronger and more memorable essay for the reviewer to read.
OP Tanveer Ahmed 3 / 7 2  
Holt . Your seriatim productive response is highly appreciated . I shall try to incorporate your recommendation, i.e. To have submissive tone and one story to elucidate skills in the next version. thanks

Home / Scholarship / Opening new avenues to materialize my dreams - review my Chevening application question response