Being a part of Chevening absolutely will strengthen my network globally.

skhaor 5 / 8 2  
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community ...

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

NETWORKING ESSAY FOR CHEVENING

Joining an intership at the Ministry of Marine of Fisheries Republic of Indonesia in my 3rd year of university was my first experience of meeting influental people in my major, Oceanography. I worked with researchers from Indonesia and Chinese. Besides, I also met new people from TNI AU. Having connection with them broadening my insight about application of ocenaography in my country and how was the real condition of Indonesia's marine which is undeveloped well and has complex problems, especially in coastal. This experience motivated me to dedicate my life in marine area. Futhermore, I was benefitted from the network here during my last year because they can help me to solve problems on my thesis and offered me jobs after I graduated. In addition, on my 4th year of univeRsity while I am doing my thesis, I've met several researcher from LIPI and P3GL to asked about problems on my thesis.

After graduated from university, I started to work in a company which concerned in coastal protection. Even it belong to my father, I met new people from different background for sure. Moreover, our clients are from all around Indonesia who has industry related to coastal development. I realized from those clients, that there are much Indonesia's coastal problem which need to be solved and developed especially in terms of its infrastructure.

Currently I as a representative from the company, joined a bussiness and digital marketing group. In this opportunity, I also benefited from entrepreneurs with different background. Even this group is not related to my study and career, but this opportunity is necessary to wider the business in this digital era, including a business in coastal infrastructure company.

Being a part of Chevening absolutely will strengthen my network globally. Lack of industries that concern in coastal development and engineering in Indonesia makes this global network I get from Chevening helpful for both Indonesia or UK.
Xti02 5 / 16 9  
Dear Shofia

I think the reviewers would be more interested in your professional network, rather than your contacts from university. Almost half of your essay is about how the researchers you met helped you with your thesis, which is not necessarily what would impress the reviewers.

When it comes to your professional network: Firstly, I think you should remove the part of working at your father's company (anyway, it contradicts your first paragraph where you said your contacts had offered you jobs). Secondly, remember that networking is about more than just meeting people from different backgrounds. You need to describe to the reviewer how someone in your network has helped you with a problem, or how you were able to assist someone in your network and thus have a mutually beneficial professional relationship.

I hope this helps
Shofia, there is a disconnection between your networks. Somehow, in your presentation, they do not really interrelate and the reasons why you would consider these usable networks is not clear. You should start the essay with the second paragraph since that is where your professional exposure to networking was supposed to start. Just because the company is family owned does not mean that you should not use it. Go ahead and say that your dad owns the company. That doesn't change the fact that you had to create a network of contacts to fulfill your job needs. The problem, is that none of the information you share about your contacts show any real time use or benefits from having these networks to call upon when you need to. In fact, it doesn't seem like you needed their help anytime at all. Since that is the case, then these companies and people cannot be considered a part of an existing and effective network that you created. There is also a lack of supporting evidence to prove that Chevening should consider your contacts an improvement to their own network because there is no reference as to how the network that you have will improve the current pool of Chevening alumni.

Home / Scholarship / Being a part of Chevening absolutely will strengthen my network globally.