I want to be a part of the development of Africa and contribute to it - this is my responsibility

chadnium000 4 / 4  
prompt: Describe your motivation and commitment to return to Africa after graduation and outline a brief proposal detailing your plans for when you return to Africa.

More than fifty percent of the countries with fast growing economies are African, political and economic reforms, have supported this economic growth. Increased consumer and investor confidence, and rising exports, have boosted the economy, argues the World bank. Africa is advancing, catching up with the more developed countries. I want to be a part of the development of Africa, to contribute my own quota which is my responsibility as an African.

My motivation, returning back to Africa after graduating from university of Toronto as a Mechanical Engineer is not just to be of service to my country, but I see it is as the best way I can sate my yearning to give back. Of course there would be difficulties and setbacks, but I believe we only grow when we face our challenges.

After graduating in 2021, I will put into practice the skills and knowledge I have gained from the University of Toronto. However, just after graduation, I am going to work for an energy solutions company in Nigeria, involved in research and development of cheaper and environment-friendly power and also based in other countries of Africa.

The privatisation of the power sector in Nigeria has given rise to various companies now in control of the country's power. However there is still a problem of transmission. By 2026, having gained enough experience, I am going to start my own energy solutions company to tackle the issue of transmission and to provide cleaner and cheaper power to both on-grid and off-grid settlements. I also will raise campaigns to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, to enlighten on the importance of using cleaner energy sources.

In the nearest future, I want to create a school for young innovators that train them with the right skills to become entrepreneurs. I would also want to create workshops for engineering students to give them that hands-on learning which is almost nonexistent in most universities of Nigeria.

With the profits, reputations and experience, I expand my company into a network of multinational branding company across Africa. I will inspire others to innovate by sharing my knowledge in colleges. This way I can help Africa's development.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Don't you realize that your PLANS are too many and some of them are impractical? First, you want to work in energy solutions company and also involve in research. (okay this is fine) Second, in several years (approximately 5 years) you want to start your own energy solutions company. (Hmm, this is questionable. The big question is "How?") Third plan, you are going to raise campaign. (why don't you start earlier? why do you wait until 2026 or after having your own company? raise campaign would be like the sooner the better right?) Fourth plan (short-term), you want to create SCHOOL. (when is exactly the nearest future that you're talking about? because you said earlier that you want to WORK in energy solutions company right after your graduation) Fifth, create workshop, sixth, expand your company, and lastly, you want to inspire others. (these plans are indeed impractical)

Overall, you can see that your ideas or plans are conflicted. It was not well-arranged and well-developed. Try to find more practical solutions or plans. Sometimes 1-2 well-prepared plans are better than 5-6 unprepared plans.
Nwanko, I admire all of the long term plans that you have for Nigeria. You are an exemplary Nigerian who is sure to bring glory to your country in the future. That said, I have to tell you that your long term goals do not have a place in this essay. You see, you are only being asked to respond to the question "What will motivate you to return to Africa after graduation? " The question posed requires only a brief response that should span no longer than one year upon your return to Africa.

So, of all of the plans that you have presented in your essay, I believe that the following items would be the best ones for you to develop into a one or two paragraph response:

1. Returning to Africa as a mechanical engineer, you will want to find work with an energy company (dream big, name a corporation in your country), where you will make sure that the other engineers who did not have the chance to study abroad will have an opportunity to learn from you because you will be returning to the country with the most up to date information, knowledge, and training, which will be sure to help ease the burden of work for the other engineers in the company.

2. Present the idea that you will encourage the corporation to support the development of alternative energy sources by presenting your own ideas, which you developed during your studies abroad, for implementation in your country. This will show that you are totally committed to not only your studies, but the development of your country through viable energy solutions implementation.

Usually, those are the two strongest positions to take when trying to convince the reviewer that you will be returning to your home country upon graduation. If you can try to develop a statement along those immediate lines, you should have a pretty strong and relevant response to the essay. Don't think too far ahead this time. Just one year in advance is fine. The plans I suggest are doable in about 6-12 months. However, the 2nd part, could stretch as long as 5 years in some instances, but that's for another discussion. I believe that this is all you have to do for now.

Home / Scholarship / I want to be a part of the development of Africa and contribute to it - this is my responsibility