Passionate people who are not afraid to take challenges - future leaders or influencers in Indonesia

Upeka Mendis 1 / 1  

Leadership and influence

1.Who will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries? Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills so support your answers. Minimum word count 100 maximum 500

For me the word leadership can bring many varieties of images to my mind. The one who passionate others, one who explore many different things and one who take challenges no matter in what condition. Leaders always set direction, build an inspiring version and create something new. Not only they inspire themselves but also they motivate others to go through the same way as them. I believe that good leader is one who can take wining and loosing equally to their life.

In my opinion leadership is an action that inspire me and also other to accomplish certain goals. Actually leadership skills must start within me before I can lead others. As good leader I must be decency about my allegiance and be open minded about everything.

During my undergraduate studies in Indonesia, I had many peer projects to do. Most of time I had to lead my friends because first thing is I was the first foreign student in my university and second thing is they believe I can mange with an English language very well. Every moment when my lectures asked us to do group projects they were very happy to be with me, they thought that they don't have work as long as I am their leader. However as a leader I must not do everything by myself and also report to my lectures that rest of others didn't give their participation.

Therefore first I divided materials for each member and asked them to read. I always motivated them to believe in themselves , such as don't say you don't understand anything try to understand one sentence by one sentence if you still cannot understand please ask from me, use your dictionary, summaries the paragraph by your own words. Sometimes some of them even cried may be angry with me but I said "this is group work so we must start and finish it together, if you cannot believe yourself, so who is going to believe in you, don't depend too much on others". However at the end we could complete the projects together perfectly and we all got new knowledge about topic. For that reason as leader we must always motivate your members no matter what condition we are in.

Not only when I was in my college, but also when I first started to work voluntary as a teacher for Central Education in Lampung. I believe teacher always be a leader for their students because teacher always lead and encourage students to accomplish the successful learning process. I had to teach English to adult students, so most of them were lectures and work in professional filed. Moreover it was big challenge for me. I wasn't prepared as teacher and as a leader, but I always believe myself that I embark on a new venture and enthusiasm, my highly self-confident enables me to motivate my students, and get along with them. I always asked my students to be brave and fell motivate about them.

In the conclusion leaders always create chances to change their soundings, their society and the country to achieve the goals refine life quality. I am confident that I have leadership qualities and good accomplishments on my objectives. Moreover most important thing as leader is about holding your team together and encourages them. Those profound experiences have helped me to improving myself confident and progress in my professional career. Chevening scholarships will definitely move me forward and develop my knowledge about English, which I can bring back to my country to improve English knowledge. Moreover I regard my experience as learning process and believe that in the future I can be better leader than I am now.
azuramadhana 1 / 3  
Hi Upeka,

I think you should consider maximum number of words in your essay. You wrote 614 words instead of 500 words as requested. Do cut unimportant part in the first and second paragraph.

Make your sentence simple and effective such as:
"Most of time I had to lead..." --> "I was trusted to lead my friends since my English and leadership capacity."
OP Upeka Mendis 1 / 1  
"I was trusted to lead ..."

Thank you so much for the suggestion. it is helpful especially i didn't notice about the maximum word count.
Upeka, unfortunately fixing the word count of your essay is the least of your problems with this presentation. It is irrelevant to the required elements of a leadership and influencing essay. There is no real leadership, nor influencing being referred to in the presentation as your college level experience is only for peer projects, which are not the same as leading a college organization or being a part of the student government. That presentation is not going to help increase your L&I potential in the eyes of the reviewer at all. You have to think of an extra curricular activity instead where you can prove your L&I skills by showing it in action.

As for the teacher part, again, it shows the same problem. Does it even relate to your actual profession? There is no development of leadership and influencing skills at this level because you only speak of your profession as a teacher but not as a teacher who is a leader and influencer. These aspects normally happen outside of the classroom setting wherein you are either the department head or section head of a particular subject. As the supervisor of the other teachers, you could explain how you elevate the teaching and learning levels at the school through your leadership and influencing skills.

It would be better for you to rethink the content of your essay and write a stronger essay that better qualifies you as a candidate. At the moment, your essay does not have the ability to get you considered past the screening round.

Home / Scholarship / Passionate people who are not afraid to take challenges - future leaders or influencers in Indonesia