Petroleum Geoscience - Supporting statement for AAS about choose proposed course and institution

suryawibawa 1 / -  
Hi, I am Adit, and I am writing an essay for the AAS application. My educational background is geology, and I already working in the oil and gas industry for up to 5 years. I will apply for a master Petroleum Geoscience programme motivated by two technical issues in my current duties. Can anyone please kindly help me with my essay ?. Thank you very much in advance.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR PROPOSED COURSE AND INSTITUTION?

I chose the Master of Petroleum Geoscience programme motivated by various technical findings in Indonesia's upstream oil and gas industry. My research project has identified the western areas that currently act as national energy backbones are dealing with very complex issues. Land acquisition challenges in highly-populated regions (Sumatra and Java) reduce almost 40% of assets productivity. Second, in the eastern basin, geological complexity limits the activation of 38 oil and gas prospects. It demands an expert that able to integrate the resources, operational system and business model economically. Hence, enrolling in this programme will enrich my exploration project management concept in devising assets optimisation strategies for both industry barriers. Expectedly, it could speed up the current exploration projects and stimulate oil and gas investment recovery in the post-COVID-19 situation, which has dropped 26.5%.

Australian School of Petroleum Geoscience and Energy Resources at The University of Adelaide would be my first option to continue my education. It is the only institution worldwide that offers integrated courses in advanced petroleum geoscience, engineering, and management. The curriculum trains students to solve complex upstream and downstream difficulties, from initial exploration to field appraisal and commercialisation. Moreover, getting direct mentorship from Professor Stephen Begg, the only experts in Front-End-Loading and decision analysis, could guide me to avoid the uneconomical subsurface recommendation.

Besides, the School of Earth Sciences at The University of Western Australia would be my second pick. Located close to the primary petroleum-producing regions of South East Asia makes this learning opportunity even more priceless. They provide the only field-excursion programme to study the operational system in Australia's major sedimentary basins. It will present tremendous living-laboratory for my geological frameworks enrichment.
Try to avoid ranking the schools as your first and second choices. You must appear to be interested and motivated to study in either school which the scholarship committee might approve for you to study at. Base your choice of the school and university on the relevance of the curriculum on your research. Discuss how the curriculum lends itself to educating you based on your career goals or research interests. It is the application of the studies that matter to the reviewer. While the mentor aspect is worth mentioning, you have to know that you may not have that professor as your mentor should you be chosen to attend that university. That is why it is better to not rank the universities and also, not mention specific professors you hope to study under. It appears that you are dictating your choice, rather than merely suggesting possible options for your scholarship studies.

Home / Scholarship / Petroleum Geoscience - Supporting statement for AAS about choose proposed course and institution