My UK post study career plan; British-Indonesian cooperation towards sustainable development

alvin1902 4 / 7 1  

my ideas for the future

I believe that UK is planning on helping Indonesia towards a sustainable development and I'm wishing to be a part of it by joining the Chevening program and bring changes to my country. It's a growing worry in me seeing how bad Indonesia is at keeping its environment. If this trend continues with nobody to stop it, Indonesia will face a disastrous effect in near future. As one of the top emitter of greenhouse gasses, a more sustainable development might just be the solution to stop this trend.

After I finished my study in UK, my main plan would be to apply to a government agency focused on space planning such as Dinas Tata Ruang ( Department of Space and City Planning), Dinas Perumahan dan Gedung Pemerintah ( Department of Housing and Governmental Building), or something related on that field. Indonesia is a growing country with a great focus on improving infrastructure. I wish to be a part of those improvement while underlining the importance of sustainability in the development. There are many big cities in Indonesia that need a serious care with its sustainability. Jakarta, where I live is one of the most polluted city in south east Asia. This speaks a lot about the concern level of Indonesian with sustainability. With my study about sustainable design, I want to help bring Indonesia building towards a more ecological, systematic and sustainable city.

Another plan in my mind would be to apply on various universities as a lecturer to teach the new students on sustainability studies. As I become a lecturer, I could sharpen and deepen my research on sustainability while passing the knowledge that I learned in UK to another future architect. I want to ensure that what I learned while in UK would not go to waste by staying idle and not improving myself.

In a longer term, I wish to be one of the participant that create a law in Indonesia about the sustainability issues. Indonesia is one of the country that lack a proper law in controlling city development. There are many countries that already using sustainability studies as the basis for building construction. LEED certification for example, is used as a standard in many western countries when a new building is being built. I want to implement that idea in Indonesia so that all the new building in the future will be a building that care about its environment.

These are my career plan that I have thought carefully and I want to focus all my might in reaching my goal of creating a sustainable Indonesia in the future so that we can stand tall and prideful as a country with a clear sustainable development program.
Raza93 5 / 8 1  
Hey Alvin. There are a few typos in your essay. Would be best if you could get someone to proofread the final draft.

I think you should rather expand on your role as a government representative and talk about how you would create awareness around sustainable development in that role. Of what I have heard from some Chevening scholars, it's always better to identify one post-study career plan and then discuss various aspects of that role. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about the government offices working for environmental upgradation in Indonesia. Maybe discuss a bit of that and how you plan to liaise with different offices to promote environmental activism in major cities like Jakarta?
Alvin, your essay will not work because there is no direct reference to the UK activities in your country regarding space exploration. You need to make a solid statement about hoping to collaborate with such a UK agency in Indonesia in order to make that assumption work. You should find out from those 2 agencies if the UK has any contribution to their development or studies before you proceed with this essay. Unless you can prove that the UK supports the space program of Indonesia, you will have a bit of a hard time convincing the reviewer that you qualify for a Chevening scholarship. You have made a good case for your post study plans, however, the lack of UK collaboration as indicated in your essay weakens the content by at least 50%. You need solid representations of the UK interests in your country, within your field of interest / profession in order to make this essay stronger in the manner that the Chevening committee might consider relevant to your application. Right now, the essay works for your application, but only to a certain extent. It will be difficult for the committee to fully consider your application due to the lack of UK participation in your future plans.
Patistrying 2 / 2  
I wish to be one of the participant that create ... and implement that idea in Indonesia
This is still weaken point. You should extent more how could you change your country's law because it needs the power of changing.

I want to implement that idea in Indonesia so that all the new building in the future will be a building that care about its environment.

Is there any country sustainable development? Providing more example will strengthen your idea

Your future plans are acceptable, however, you need to present what the UK has visibly supported your country in the field of your interest. Explain the positions or your collaboration with UK after you return home. This will strengthen your assay for Chevening scholarship. They look for the one who has the certain goals.

Home / Scholarship / My UK post study career plan; British-Indonesian cooperation towards sustainable development