POTENTIAL NETWORKING - it opens up opportunities for international collaboration; CHEVENING ESSAY

ieywa 3 / 9  
Dear Ms Mary Rose @holt, I would love to hear a good feedback for my essay from you. and it's open for you all guys who can give me a good feedback as well. Thank you.

Chevening is looking for individuals with strong professional relationship-building skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Please explain how you build and maintain relationships in a professional capacity, using clear examples of how you currently do this and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

POTENTIAL NETWORKING

Networking is an important key to building your future. I realized how important it is since I started working as a freelancer in my hometown. At that time, I faced a hard situation when I needed to finish my detailed engineering design and the construction drawing at the same time. Then, I asked my relative who works in a local university if there's someone who can draft for me and then he introduced me to a civil engineering student who has a good skill to draft. Finally, that student helped me to draft my project.

When I was working as a structural engineer for an owner, I maintained my communication and interaction with the drafters, the architects, the estimators, and my other team mates well. Some of them have great skill in their fields and that could be potential to collaborate together. I approached some of the drafters and architects who have the capability to plan, great at their work and willing to collaborate. I told them about my freelancer job and asked them if they want to join me when I get an order for design from a private customer. Finally, we started to build a mutual network, because sometimes an order comes from their side as well. For the job as well, I will take my part in the structural analysis itself and when it is overloaded, I have a trustable partner to help me, my previous partner. Our collaboration is not only beneficial for some outside project, but gives us some benefit to do our tasks at each company. We keep sharing our knowledge, discussion for some cases and could share some structure calculation system that is already computerized or share the construction drawing examples. Although some of us have not worked in one company anymore, we still maintained our communication, networking and relationship as friends. Furthermore, the way we work separately gives us a great chance to expand our networking. We got to know new skilled people to work together and new potential projects as well.

Besides that, I still maintain good communication and interaction with my university friends, the alumni, and my lecturers as well, because I know their networking could be a potential networking for me as well and they work in a variety of fields. For example, on April 2020, my company looking for a good price for WF steel, and I remember one of my university's friends working at steel company, so I asked her about what I am looking for, then she introduced me to some steel supplier, even though in the end some of them did not become our partner, but I still maintain communication with them. Someday I wish I could develop this networking to start a consulting company and expand it to be a contractor company, even though it is a long way to go. By joining the Chevening community could lead me to know more potential people and could open up opportunities for international collaboration.
This presentation is more geared towards referrals rather than network building. While a referral is a simple networking method, it does not adhere to the Chevening requirements for a scholar who has an impressive network of NGO and local / national representatives that maybe useful to the foundation and its members going forward. The network building most go beyond word of mouth referrals. It requires skills training and development through continued leaming and seminars, even conferences attended. Far more notable network usage is required beyond average freelance projects. The discussion here is sufficient for entry level work contracts or local project contracts. It does not qualify the applicant for an international scholarship though. The applicant must develop a more notable way of presenting an internationally usable network.

Home / Scholarship / POTENTIAL NETWORKING - it opens up opportunities for international collaboration; CHEVENING ESSAY