We are the product of both our efforts and our failures. NTU scholarship essay

coffeetoffee 1 / 3  
I would really be super super grateful if you could give me comments on this :') Thanks so much!

Describe, in less than 300 words, the values and beliefs you hold strongly to. Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions.

To Face The Fear Of Failure And Win

Failure is often seen as something negative and to be avoided. However I beg to differ. While it would not make sense to actively hope for failure, I feel that when facing failure, it is often important to stay positive and look at what we can learn from the experience. Oftentimes, failure may even be an opportunity in disguise.

Penicillin, one of the top health advancements in history, was discovered by accident when a petri dish was contaminated. One could say that Sir Alexander Fleming had failed in his original experiment, though his failure led him in another direction, allowing antibiotics to be discovered.

In my own life, my first sense of failure was when I was unable to get into the school I wanted after my PSLE. I was greatly disappointed, and ended up going to another school. One thing led to another and I ended up studying in a school I really loved. I also gained many valuable opportunities and skills which I would not have gained otherwise. Looking back, I can see how everything fell into place. Today, what I viewed as failure seems instead like an opportunity. It was an opportunity that led me to the right place.

In life, failure will come at the most unexpected times, and things may not always work out the way we wish. Increasingly, I get the sense that it is the way we face our failures that matters the most. Do we wallow in depression? Or do we look at what can be learnt and move on? I believe that we are the product of both our efforts and our failures. In the end, our failures force us to reevaluate ourselves and ultimately push us in the right direction.
kgspwilli 1 / 2  
One thing led to another and I ended up studying in a school I really loved.

Hello, don't just list.. or assume.. tell it... tell the story of how you were unable to get into the school.. I know it 300 words... but you can spend less paragraphs in the building up and concentrate more on how failure change you as a person.
Joo, your response is off topic. Failure is not a belief or value system. Failure is a personal point of view. However, failure in relation to a character building opportunity, as as your not being able to attend the school that you hoped to, creates a value and belief system in the presentation. So, you don't really have to write a totally new essay for this prompt. Instead, you should revise the essay to include the keywords throughout in order to help resolve the seeming disconnection between failure, value and belief. For example, I could say that :

I believe that failure is the mother of opportunity. By failing to accomplish something, I realized that I had to believe that I would eventually succeed and when I do succeed, it is going to be a notable accomplishment. There was actually an event in my life that would help to illustrate how I believed that my failure in life helped me learn the value of success.

By properly framing your opening statement, you can actually use this essay information. You will just need to revise the content to be more reflective of the prompt requirement though.
OP coffeetoffee 1 / 3  
Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate it ◡̈

So sorry could I clarify so beliefs are not the same as personal point of view? :o So would the issue with my essay be not showing that 'failure is a personal point of view' bit?

Apologies but I'm not sure what you mean about making my essay reflecting more of the prompt T ^ T

Also, do you think that bit about penicillin is relevant/ significant?

Home / Scholarship / We are the product of both our efforts and our failures. NTU scholarship essay