Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

"a professional petroleum engineer" - Statement of Career Goals

tlin2008 2 / -  
Hi, everyone. Please help me correct this statement of career goals. If you have any suggestions, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

My career goal is to become a professional petroleum engineer. I grew up in the rural area with limited supply of power. Especially in hot summers, we had to suffered many blackouts, but we couldn't do anything to improve our situations. At that moment, I wished to become a scientist who could provide more energy sources for the people. Petroleum oil attracted my attentions at the first time when I took the chemistry classes. I was amazed that petroleum oil not only was utilized as essential energy source for our daily lives, but also served as raw materials for other industries. Although I knew that the petroleum oil was extracted from the underground, I never had a chance to understand how the engineers performed the process until I took rock properties with Dr. Julius Langlinais. In the lectures, Professor Langlinais introduced the sauce rocks for oil formations, different oil traps, and various tools for detections of formation layer. He not only taught us about the theories in the book, but also brought his life experience in the oil field into the classes. I was amazed about his lectures and decided to pursue an engineering degree in petroleum.

Currently, I have completed several petroleum engineering core courses with the grades "A". Meanwhile, I have actively attended the seminars of Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) and American Association of Drilling Engineers (AADE) in Louisiana State University. These seminars gave me opportunities to expose to new technologies in petroleum engineering. Furthermore, I also participated in the outreach program organized by SPE to introduce high school students about petroleum engineering program in Louisiana State University. Now, beyond taking more major courses, I am applying for an internship in the petroleum companies. I hope the internship will allow me to experience how the engineers confront different critical situations.

In future, I want to specialize in production engineering in the field to supervise the production process closely. I wish to work with other professional engineers to improve the safety issue on the platform and develop a better method for oil drilling. In this way, I will maintain a safe working environment for my colleagues while do no harm to the nature. I believe this action will greatly reduce the man-made tragedies.

Home / Scholarship / "a professional petroleum engineer" - Statement of Career Goals