Profound interest in Language&Culture; Benjamin Gilman Scholarship -SOP

fbnicholson 1 / -  
The Statement of Purpose essay is a very important factor in the selection process. You should carefully review your essay and ask an advisor to proofread your essay for spelling, grammar, and content prior to submission. In the text box provided below, please address the following questions, in no particular order. Be specific in describing your individual reasons for studying abroad keeping in mind that this is a scholarship for academic study abroad.

1. Why do you wish to study abroad and what factors led you to this decision? What do you hope to gain from and what do you anticipate will be the impact of your experience abroad?

Language and culture has always had a profound impact in my life. Growing up in a Nigerian household, I was exposed to many different facets of the Nigerian tradition and culture. One of them being, the language, I spoke at home a mixture of both Yoruba and the English language. The influences of my culture enabled me to have an open-minded spirit as well as enabled me to understand the diverse cultures of this world, and how to appreciate each one of them. This passion eventually led to my interest in the learning about other cultures, especially the Korean culture. I became increasingly attracted to the Korean language. Since my own cultural heritage is interwoven from threads of history and diversity, and legends, I can see the resemblance of the South Korea. Therefore, I decided to pursue this further and study abroad in South Korea so that I can learn more about the Korean culture as well as gain an understanding the character of their culture and traditions.

What I hope to gain from studying abroad is a better understanding of people, life, and culture from a background that is radically different from my own. I want to be able to add to diversity of the classroom, and offer my knowledge and experience; and to be able to collaborate in creating an international experience with students from across the globe. At Korea University, I will have the opportunity to approach my academic learning from a global perspective. I will get to experience all the physical manifestations of the Korean culture, while being impacted from my learning of the Korean language and cultural history and arts. This will engage my mind, in the cultural pages of the newspapers: opera, music, dramas, books and other intellectual or artistic activities that I am interested in.

2. Describe your study abroad program. What factors led you to select this program and length of study?

The study abroad program I chose was the summer program at Korea University through GlobaLinks. It's a six week program that offers courses in the areas of Business, Law, Humanities, Science, Korean studies as well as Korean language and Fine Art/ Design. This program adds depth towards my academic career because of the content courses that I will be engaged in such as Korean language, international business, and literature, which allows me to fulfill my requirements for my major while at the same time experiencing the unique, parts of the South Korean culture. Another attractive quality of the summer program is that the courses are being taught by renowned professors from some of the most prestigious university. It also offers opportunities to explore historically significant museums or architectural sites for cultural immersions, such as excursions, cultural workshops, and guest lecturers. Korea University academic courses are equipped with a wealth of Korea's intangible cultural heritage as well as it displays their history, education, rituals and documentary culture. It's a chance for me to deepen and apply my linguistic and intercultural skills and enable me to have an unparalleled advantage in gaining an understanding in the Korean language through the constant interactions with my classmates, professors and native speakers. Another reason, I have chosen to study in this country is that it offers aspects of Korean culture I have never experienced. I will be able to achieve a more personalized and immersive experience off/on campus.

3. Why have you chosen your country of study? What factors led you to select this country?

South Korea is a culturally aspiring place; I am attracted to the cultural traditions that are in embedded in the culture of Korea. It's a place that I found to be intriguingly beautiful with its ancient palaces, its pre-historic sites, and its modern society. It's a global sphere that has proximity and historical links with China and Japan, and is becoming a major force in the Pacific Rim. With those being some of the interesting cultural highlights, therefore, I decided to continue exploring the different facets of Korea and bridge the opportunities from my spring semester and further my understanding of the Korean language and culture. This opportunity will complement my goal of researching with the professors, and Fulbright ETA scholarship as well as gaining fluency in the Korean language.

4. How will this study abroad program and the coursework you take abroad impact your academic and future professional goals?

The coursework I chose will enable me to gain a great deal of insight into not only about the contemporary Korean society, but how the global economy has shaped this country. It was one of the primary reasons why I have chosen courses in the areas of Globalization and Culture in Asia and Global leadership and Management. I find that Korea has become a growing force and trend, within the Pacific-Rim region and is presenting itself as globalized economy. As an liberal arts major, I also wanted to incorporate in my degree into range of studies units related to the Korean history, linguistics, culture and society. My summer abroad in South Korea will definitely impact my professional growth of because of my experiences gained through studying in a multilingual, international environment. I will be taking a Beginners Korean language II that will with complement my pursuit into the Fulbright ETA program. With that in mind, I plan to use my skills to teach conversational English in South Korea after I have completed my studies. M ultimate academic goal is to facilitate work in the E. Asian Region

5. Are there any distinctive components to this program, beyond coursework, that will impact your overall learning experience abroad? (i.e. home-stays, internships, field research, volunteer activities, extra-curricular activities, etc.)

Korea is a country steeped in history and culture, full of hidden treasures, I will get to visit many places not frequented by foreigners, which make it even more interesting. I also have the opportunity to visit rural Buddhist temples, folk villages and natural attractions; it was at these places that it felt like I was seeing the real Korea

Thanks to the brilliant buddy system set up by the student group KUBA, most weekends will be filled with exploring Korea, even having weekend trips to the more rural areas DMZ.

6. What challenges, if any, did you face in your decision to study abroad? How did you meet these challenges and what impact do you foresee them having on your experience abroad? These could include, but are not limited to, being a parent, being a non-traditional student, having a learning or physical disability, being in a field of study for which it is difficult to incorporate study abroad, etc.

I am a single-divorced woman that has worked two jobs while taking on full-time schedule at Creighton. I come from a family of six and learned at early age to work hard for things, so when it came to my financial means I had no external support. In addition, I am a non-traditional student that has faced a lot of obstacles with attending my school, which includes trying to adjust my schedule while working to accommodate for my classes. I had to relearn certain areas of studies as well as adjust to learning curve of my University educational standards. I also had to work harder than expected than most students, and with being recently diagnosed with ADHD,I had to learn to work harder. However, I had made the effort to employ all the resources on my campus, one of them being the TRIO program. The Trio program worked with me on improving my studying habits, writing and math all areas causing a lot of tension.

Follow-on Service Project Proposal

Should you be selected to receive a Gilman Scholarship, you will be required to carry out a Follow-on Service Project upon your return to the U.S. which promotes the Gilman Program and international education on your home campus and/or in your community. All applicants will be required to write a proposal explaining how you will give back by inspiring others to pursue their own experiences abroad. Projects should maximize the impact of your experience abroad by extending the benefits you received to your campus and community. Projects should be clear, able to be completed in approximately one semester, and have obtainable goals. Examples of Follow-on Service Projects can be found here. You should carefully review your essay and ask an advisor to proofread your essay for spelling, grammar and content prior to submission. Summarize your Follow-on Service Project Proposal in paragraph format by addressing the following questions.

1. Briefly outline your proposed project to promote the Gilman Scholarship and international education. How will this project impact your home university or home community? What are your project goals?

My proposed project idea is to create a blog that highlights my study abroad trip to South Korea and how the Gilman award had influenced this opportunity to be in South Korea. I also have decided to work with my schools newspaper called the Creightonion to enhance the opportunities of studying abroad as well as ways to fund your next study abroad through the Benjamin Gilman Award.

This project will influence my home university for those who are interested in studying abroad in South Korea or for those who want to study abroad and just need a cultural inspiration through a blog or piece of article. It's way for students to interact with each other and learn from each other's experiences My project goals consist of utilizing my home institution Creighton Blog that can be linked to the study abroad office webpage, etc. Then I decided to work in conjunction with the Creightonion newspaper on doing a piece on their section called the, The Scene.

2. What is your target population and how will your project impact this group?
The target population would be students that attend Creighton essentially, however if my article is published through the Creightonion newspaper than it could expand my network of people outside of Creighton university to reach students where they live, beyond campus, out to the larger community

3. How will you integrate the impact of your experiences abroad into your project?

I will use my blog as an extension of my experiences gained throughout abroad South Korea. Purposefully, I want to thread in any experience whether it is a cultural trip, a sports event on campus, a foreign language experience of me talking with a students on campus or within the local community. I will add my top favorite places and things to do as well my favorite types of food represented in pictures. I will illustrate to my readers phrases that are particular to the Korean society. Overall, I want the people reading to feel as if they are gaining an immersive experience reading my blog.

4. What, if any, campus departments, student organizations, and/or community organizations will you collaborate with in promoting the Gilman Scholarship and international education? Have you already made contact with these groups?

Yes, I have already established proposal with the study abroad office; in addition, I will be working with the Creightonion newspaper on collaborating for a newspaper article.
Didgeridoo has done great editing for you :)

Language and culture hashave always had a profound impact in my life. Growing up in a Nigerian household, I was exposed to many different facets of the Nigerian tradition and culture. One of them being, the language, I spoke at home a mixture of both Yoruba and the English language. The influences of my culture enabled me to have an open-minded spirit as well as enabled me to understand the diverse cultures of this world, and how to appreciate each one of them.

.... You talk about the influence of your culture (section in bold letters) but I feel you better elaborate on it a little more, otherwise it sounds a bit vague. This is my suggestion;

Language and culture are two things that always had a profound influence in my life. Growing up in a Nigerian household, I was exposed to many different facets of its culture and traditions. At home I spoke both Yoruba and English while having myself exposed to ???????(tell us about important features of your culture)

Home / Scholarship / Profound interest in Language&Culture; Benjamin Gilman Scholarship -SOP