a Program Aide in Regent West Adult Health Care Center - leadership experience

conheomap 3 / 6  
The essay question: Describe your most significant leadership experience.
(please help me correct the grammars. Most of all, does it make sense? - TIA )

The most significant leadership experience I've got while working as a Program Aide in Regent West Adult Health Care Center in California. My job's description was to help the patients who wanted to learn to use computers and support basic IT questions.

On my first day at the office, I was expecting a lot of people. Surprisingly, no one had attended. It was strange and disappointed at the same time. I talked to the patients and asked them if they wanted to participate in any kind of activities related to computer. The majority was intimidated and didn't know anything about computer due to the reason that 90% of patients in the facility were Vietnamese with the age ranging at from 60 and 70. I decided to discuss to Kimberly, the Activity Coordinator, about different ways in which we can recruit the patients and encourage them to participate in the computer activities so that the program wouldn't be terminated.

I knew I had to think of a way to encourage potential participants. For the next several days, I talked to the patients to understand their interests and linked them to computers. I told them about current events, stories, and articles that could be read online. I also told them the benefits of keeping in contact with their friends and family through the internet.

First there were six people who signed up for the class. I had to get the teaching material from the internet mixing with some exercises from books I've took in college. It was hard for them at first because many patients suffer from short-term memory loss. I had them practice moving the mouse over to open a program and close it for at least 25 times. Usually by then, they could remember some of the exercise. However, the next day when I asked them to perform the exercise again, they had forgotten everything. So I learned that these are special people. The teaching technique had got to be different. At school, students have to catch up with the professor's speed, but in here I had to go according to how fast they absorbed the materials. The class got bigger and new people joined. It had got easier for me because the experience students could help me demonstrating the new ones how to do certain tasks. Some of them even gave tips and tricks and shared their experiences. They learn it better from peers than me in some situations. I worked there for about a year. When I left, a total of 60 people shared the computer room. Each of them had his/her own schedule when to use the computer. All of them knew basic computer operations. I didn't think of anything, but right now It feels satisfying thinking back that I could at least changed partial of people's life.
mocixuan 4 / 10  
I didn't think of anything, but right now It feels satisfying thinking back that I could at least changedchange partial of people's life.
OP conheomap 3 / 6  
Thank you mocixuan!
The My most significant leadership experience I've got while occurred when I was working as a Program Aide in Regent West Adult Health Care Center in California. My job description consisted of helping the patients who wanted to learn to use computers and support basic IT questions.

Surprisingly, no one had attended.

Each of them had his/her own scheduled times to use the computer. All of them knew basic computer operations. I didn't think of anything of it at the time, but in retrospect it feels satisfying thinking back that I could at least changed partial of people's life.

Capitalize Internet.

This essay is very impressive because itit so thoughtful an reflective!
OP conheomap 3 / 6  
Thank you Kevin for editing the title also.

Luong

Home / Scholarship / a Program Aide in Regent West Adult Health Care Center - leadership experience