The public figure I admire most: Masao Yoshida. Short essay for CSP.

learner3051 1 / 2  
The topic of the essay is: Which public figure do you admire most? What traits or characteristics does he or she exhibit that you feel define leadership? Please use specific examples.

Masao Yoshida, the former Fukushima supervisor of damage control who worked at the tsunami-devastated nuclear power plant is the public figure that I admire most. His decision to not follow a corporate order prevented three potential simultaneous Chernobyl-like explosions of overheated Fukushima reactors and saved thousands of lives. This unspoken hero prevented the world's worst atomic accident in 15 years after the Chernobyl catastrophe in 1986. Masao volunteered and assembled a group of seniors, also known as the "Fukushima Fifty." It's Mr. Yoshida's self-sacrifice, defiance to the HQ and sense of responsibility that I believe exhibit a sense of leadership that the world may not experience for decades to come.

During the nuclear threat reign in Japan, young nuclear physicists were working fervently to stop the nuclear receptors from exploding. Mr. Yoshida formed a group of retirees age 60 and up to volunteer at the radiation-contaminated plant since the cells of an older person divide more slowly than a younger individual; because of his decision Mr. Yoshida saved about 250 workers. It was very brave of him, a Cancer survivor, to put his life on the line and possibly risk developing cancer again (which he does and dies because of). When I was growing up, I would watch Superman in Justice League, always selflessly sacrificing himself to face Kryptonite for the longevity of Earth; though shortly after dying, he would be majestically resurrected. This was not the case for Masao Yoshida because he died for a cause he believed in, and saved northern Japan as well as its inhabitants in the process. Death is something most of us are afraid to encounter, and to welcome it with open arms is an inevitable sign of strength and courage.

In this materialistic society, it is easy to ignore the right thing and go for the wrong one when advantage suggests it. When Yoshida was battling for northern Japan, he had no textbook instructions except his prior experience and knowledge. Since water acts as a heat absorber, Yoshida decided to disobey HQ orders of the TEPCO company to stop using seawater to cool the reactors. Had he obeyed the order, the whole northern Japan area would have been so severely contaminated that it would be uninhabitable for decades, if not centuries. This action conveys confidence and fearlessness. Many people would bow down to the HQ's order in a heartbeat because they wouldn't be able to think for themselves and wouldn't have the confidence to stand up for their beliefs or themselves.

Mr. Yoshida didn't have to step up and take responsibility for the nuclear disaster, but he did. This action conveys unconditional passion and love for humanity as well as responsibility. Yoshida knew the consequences of the nuclear explosions quite well and decided to do something about them. Like a good leader, Masao Yoshida took the risk and divulged himself into finding the solution rather than just observing from the guidelines.

By the way, the word limit is 500 words. Thanks in advance!
**Any criticism is appreciated!**
gello 3 / 4 1  
I'm no expert in writing essays, but that was a pretty good essay.

Home / Scholarship / The public figure I admire most: Masao Yoshida. Short essay for CSP.