I realized I had interest on impacting knowledge and affecting the lives of young people

Byll 1 / 1  
ESSAY FOR MASTER OF MANAGEMENT AGRIBUSINESS SCHOLARSHIP

Growing up as a child I decided I wanted to become a banker or an accountant which lead me to my choice of business as a major in senior high school. However things took a dramatic turn when I was given the opportunity to teach a Junior high school in my community after senior high school. I taught Information Communication Technology (I.C.T) for two years. I realized I had interest on impacting knowledge and affecting the lives of young people rather than staying in an office.

During my college years, I had the chance of undertaking internships with a company where I was part of a team implementing a maize project farm (50 acres) aimed at providing feed for the poultry section of the company. Knowledge acquired in the classroom was applied on the field and this made me reflect the impact of agribusiness on the Agricultural sector and the economy of Ghana as a whole. This made me review my decision of becoming a banker or an accountant to take up a lecturing career in the agribusiness field.

It sounded like a nightmare to me when friends and family asked me about career prospects regarding my choice of course Agribusiness Management. Even though my parents tried to understand the explanations I gave them, they did not like the idea of me finding myself in the Agricultural field since most families and young people in Ghana would not want to have anything to do with agriculture and also for the fact that the course Agribusiness Management had newly been introduced in Ghana.

I had not entirely given up on my becoming a banker or accountant though but going back to the classroom to teach after college made me affirm my choice of a lecturer as a career. Over the past year, I have worked with young people in a senior high school as an Economics and Cost Accounting teacher. I plan, prepare lecture notes and deliver educational activities in which I hope will help me gain experience and insight in working with people in future as a lecturer.

Gaining opportunity to enroll in the master of management in agribusiness will not only enhance my career prospects but also provide me with the necessary skills, knowledge and expertise in the agribusiness field aimed at helping to eradicate certain shortfalls within the agricultural value chain.
EF_Jasmine - / 68 39  
Hi! I see your inspiration! You have good experience and your ideas are well thought out. I would say you should work on your timing. I was confused about when and what dates you taught, when you decided to switch to teaching the subjects and so on. I was once told, never assume the reader knows, you must map out your writing to clearly explain to the reader. I edited and gave some suggestions that may help you on the next draft.

Good luck!
OP Byll 1 / 1  
Thank you very much, really appreciate your help

Home / Scholarship / I realized I had interest on impacting knowledge and affecting the lives of young people