Reason for Studying in UK - Chevening Essay; knowledge required to achieve my career goal in Nigeria

Ada1998 3 / 4 2  
Hi, kindly review my Chevening study essay. I appreciate you help.

three university courses chosen

Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future. Please enter new information and examples here and not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

The economy of my home country, Nigeria, depends hugely on crude oil. Income from this resource makes up over 80 percent of the federal government's revenue and more than 90 percent in foreign exchange earnings.

The over-dependence of the economy on the revenue from Crude Oil export has left other industrial sectors in jeopardy. Diversification of the economy is imminent; Nigeria has additional resources that can also provide economic value. During my undergraduate degree, I was part of a research team that produced fuel from waste materials. This research sparked my interest in renewable and sustainable energy and propelled me to further my graduate degree.

I have chosen to study Chemical Engineering at the University of Nottingham, Trent because it combines my research interests, process design, and renewable energy in its core modules. The program gives a detailed insight into the physical and chemical principles for the low-carbon manufacturing of fuels and vital materials needed for implementing sustainable change in the energy sector. I am also excited because the program gives real-life projects, and students participate in designing an efficient and sustainable process to solve a problem.

I have also chosen to study Oil and Gas Engineering at the University of Aberdeen. As a chemical engineer, knowledge about the relationship between oil and gas is imperative to making necessary reforms to Nigeria's energy sector. Gas is an essential, highly volatile resource. It can be used to power large turbines and plants to generate more power in my country. However, the presence of any form of fluid in the gas during use can be catastrophic. Knowledge about such characteristics and is very crucial to my career. Aberdeen is also the energy capital of Europe, and studying at The University of Aberdeen puts me in the center of the Energy Industry. The program benefits from industry involvement. The school's strategic location in the city will allow me to go on educational site visits and field trips.

Lastly, I chose to study Sustainable Engineering: Chemical Processing at the University of Strathclyde because it also combines all of my research interests, Renewable Energy and Advanced Process Design. The program also has a financial engineering course, which I was excited to see because most engineers focus only on the technical details and leave out the financial economics associated. Setting up a renewable energy institute will require some form of financial knowledge to manage the capital base. The program also involves a research project that simulates a problem and requires me to provide a sustainable solution with a minimal carbon footprint. At the program's conclusion, I will have satisfied the requirements to attain Chartered Engineer status, granting me global recognition and opening me to an expansive engineer network.

The three courses will provide me with the necessary knowledge required to achieve my career goal in Nigeria. I am optimistic that after my Master's in the UK, I will have developed a sought-after understanding of sustainable approaches and practices.
sheilakartika 2 / 4  
Hi @ada1998 I think you need to incorporate more on the current professional context and state what problems or issues you need to address through Master's degree in the UK. I think your essay lacking that information. I do not know what are you currently do in your job that make you need to advance your study. Good luck with your application! The deadline is approaching closer and closer. :)
Your first 2 paragraphs are irrelevant. You need to discuss your undergraduate certification in that section. Prove that you have taken the requisite foundational courses during college that will help you succeed as a scholar taking these courses. The over dependence of your country can be presented as a motivating factor, in a separate but short paragraph. Do not over discuss that portion because you will be going into details based on your masters course choices.

For each university choice, explain how your undergraduate course, specific courses that apply to the masters course, have prepared you to study the course. If possible, mention your GPA in that class. Then explain how your current profession has given you the technical know how to address the course requirements. Whenever possible, explain how the course you are discussing will help progress your career from the current point it is at. However, be careful not to present too much information in that section because you might end up negating the post study plan essay. Remember that you cannot repeat information in any essay you write for this application.

Home / Scholarship / Reason for Studying in UK - Chevening Essay; knowledge required to achieve my career goal in Nigeria