Unanswered [7] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Scholarship Posts: 3

The Relationships Building Skills I learned and the Professional Network I build

DinaHosam 1 / 1  

Networking Essay for Chevening Scholarship

Hey Everyone.

Appreciate your feedback on Networking Essay for Chevening Scholarship

When I graduated from Collage I realized that I have the Technical Knowledge but I need to develop my Communications and Professional Relationships Building Skills and that's why I decided to start my Career as a Project Coordinator in a Localization Company despite the fact that almost everyone around me advised me not to because it is not related to my field of study or the career path I wanted to follow but I believed it will be the right start for me as it will give me the chance to cooperate with Professionals not only from my country but from all over the world - Mainly in China, USA, UK and Spain- which will be a great experience for me to learn and grow and during my time there I handled Projects with People from different background and cultures and learned to build my Professional Relationships through being honest and Humble, Respecting People and understanding their different traditions and cultures, Value their efforts and appreciate their assistance, Take their feedback seriously and use it to learn and develop, ask for their advice and always take the opportunities to offer them my assistance when they need it.

Then moving to the Procurement and Logistics field helped me to continue developing my Relationship Building Skills and expanded my Professional network as I deal on daily basis with almost every Department internally within the company and external shareholders -Suppliers and Shipping Companies- both Locally and overseas. I used my Professional Relationship Building Skills to do my job responsibilities more efficiently including developing new suppliers, Building and maintaining a long-Term Business Relationship with our Key Shareholders and developed my negotiation skills to reach win-win agreements with suppliers which benefits all involved parties. On several times when a critical item is needed urgently, it was the strong relationship I built with the suppliers that contributed in encouraging them to do everything to help and that included changing their own Production Plan to fit our urgent need.

Also During my post-graduate Diploma and the Training course I attended to obtain my Certification as an International Procurement Manager I had the chance to expand my Professional Network even more as I used my skills to interact and communicate with other Supply Chain Professionals from different Industries sectors and I was able to gain new perspectives and ideas through sharing our professional experiences and until now we maintain our connection, share updates with relation to our Profession and support each other to improve as individuals and Professionals.

Throughout my Career so far, The Relationships Building Skills I learned and the Professional Network I build helped me to grow and evolve as a person and as a Professional. In the Future, I'm hoping to use my skills to continue learning and evolve and help and motivate others to learn and grow too and I believe that studying in the UK and being part of the Chevening community will be a huge opportunity for me to do so.

Holt [Contributor] - / 7,181 1785  
Dina, you have explained the foundation of your networking skills. But I have not seen any real use for your network in an expanded setting. There is a lack of useful discussion that would prove the effectiveness of your network. I need to see an event that attests to the usefulness of this highly expanded and international network that you claim to have. As Chevening requires the applicants to have an international and local network of contacts, you will automatically catch the attention of the reviewer. However, the lack of justification to support these claims, the essay loses impact and lessens the impression it makes upon the reviewer. It is better to portray your working network within the essay rather than simply discussing it in this run-down method. You just need to present one or two events that clearly show the use of your network to show that this will be a useful addition to the Chevening roster. That is the main consideration for this essay.
OP DinaHosam 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I amended it to include events in which I used my Network, please let me know what do you think

When I graduated from Collage I realized that I have the Technical Knowledge but I needed to develop my Professional Relationships Building Skills so I decided to start my Career as a Project Coordinator in a Localization Company although everyone around me advised me not to because it's not related to my field of study or the career path I wanted but I believed it will be the right start for me as I will be able to cooperate with Professionals not only from my country but from all over the world - Mainly in China, Europe and USA - which will be a great learning experience and during my time there I handled Projects with People from different background and cultures and learned to build my Professional Relationships through being honest and Humble, Respecting People and understanding their different traditions and cultures, Take their feedback seriously and use it to develop, appreciate their assistance and always take the opportunities to offer them my help when they need it.

Then moving to the Procurement and Logistics field allowed me to continue developing my Relationship Building Skills and expanded my Professional network as I deal on daily basis with almost every department internally within the company and external Parties -Suppliers and Shipping Companies- both Locally and overseas.

My Professional Network helped me do my job responsibilities more efficiently, At XXXX when Design Team wanted a new Yarn Type with complex Technical specifications urgently because it's needed to finish our collection before an coming Exhibit I used my network to find a supplier for this yarn in Italy in a short time and was able to acquire the yarn on time which enabled our Design team to complete their collection before the Exhibit.

I also used my network to find and develop new Raw Material Suppliers in India and China with lower prices which contributed to the company Cost-Reduction Plan.

And when I moved to XXXX my job didn't involve Logistics responsibilities only Procurement but when our Logistics Team was searching for alternative shipping companies I used the logistics network I built while I was at XXXX and helped them find a new shipping company with better rates.

My post-graduate Diploma also helped expand my network even more as I was able to communicate with Supply Chain Professionals from different Industry sectors, share new ideas and updates related to our profession to help each other improve as individuals and Professionals. In fact, it was through this network I got to know about the Chevening Scholarship.

Throughout my Career so far, The Relationships Building Skills I learned and the Professional Network I build helped me to grow and evolve as a person and as a Professional. In the Future I'm hoping to use my skills to continue learning and evolve and help and motivate others to learn and grow too and I believe that studying in UK and being part of the Chevening community will be a huge opportunity for me to do so.

Home / Scholarship / The Relationships Building Skills I learned and the Professional Network I build