Being resilient - Personal Statement GKS-G MBA Aspirant

AlejandroHz96 1 / 1  
Hello everyone, I am really hoping for a chance in this scholarship.

Here is some information:
-Motivations with which you apply for this program
-Family and Education background
-Significant experiences you have had; risks you have taken and achievements you have made, persons or events that have had a significant influence on you

-Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities or work experiences
-If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired, etc.

Personal statement

Being resilient and develop myself are the ways I approach life, and nothing says development more than Korea. Specially in recent years, Korea has exceled as one of the most advance countries. I believe this success is boost by their remarkable leaders at head of companies and the government. I am completely captivated by the Korean leadership style and the fondness in the words Woori (우리) and Jeong (정). Although these words are often simply translated to "us" and "love", I think that Koreans arise these feelings meaningfully within their colleagues. In my point of view, the way Korean leaders create Jeong with others is the ultimate leadership strategy because more than providing guide through these emotions superiors make bonds that make people feel united, and thus a true Woori. Learning to feel Jeong and Woori as well as guide in the Korean way is something I am certainly seeking for.

One of the reasons I relate to these feelings is because I am a descendant of a Korean war veteran and thus an overseas Korean. Despite being something I do not take the merit for; I do consider it has influenced my life in many ways. I perceive that through my family generations a firm Korean way of living has been passed. I not only see it in our Mexican-Korean traditions and food, but also in our strong personality traits like tenaciousness and a high sense of responsibility. Since very young, I learned to work my hardest to achieve my goals, and to value knowledge and education more than anything. As shown, I am familiar with Korean culture and with the tough Korean work style.

In view of all this I am going after a major in business administration in Korea. Among Korea's economic sectors, I find that the biotechnological one is the most promising, because of how much unexploited potential it has. Particularly during this pandemic, I see an opportunity for cooperation between nations to create products and services that will pave the road towards a highly technological world powered by biotechnology. Consequently, having prepared people in both areas, business and biotechnology, is crucial.

Becoming a biotechnology engineer was a challenge in certain ways. I went through some premeditated difficulties that would affect me, nonetheless. I was living by my own in my country's capital. I had no relatives nearby and needed to adjust to my new city while keeping up with my studies. Additionally, my father was dealing with cancer back in my hometown, so it was an emotional and economical hurdle at times. As I see things, it is in these moments when my motivations and goals mattered the most. Eventually, with my parents encouraging me to pursue my dreams and me adapting to the capital I was able to succeed. Therefore, considering that I have been in a similar challenge to the one presented by GKS, I am totally certain that I will not renounce my studies in Korea for any reason.

In addition to my engineering, I have developed practical and theorical knowledge on business and management. After graduating, I got enrolled in a marketer company where I managed the sales, customer service and client prospecting. Though demanding at start, it helped me learn many useful management skills in the business world. Paired with this, to gain more comprehension in the area I took two online specialization courses, at Wharton and the UNAM, about business foundations. Furthermore, I got accepted in the "Get app" project, sponsored by Accenture and JA, where I was match with a multiprofessional team to elaborate a business case over an application launch. For all of this I feel prepared to move on specialized studies of the business world.

Part of my life is related to the Korean Descendants of Mexico City Association where I participated in cultural events and helped the president personally in the investigation of information and documents regarding descendants of Korean war veterans. Moreover through the association I found Korean language classes following the Sejong hakdang structure. Nonetheless this was not my first encounter with Korean since during my High school I started studying Korean. It was back then when the Korean language totally caught me. Currently I am finishing the third book, unfortunately due to the pandemic and the schedules I was not able to take the TOPIK.

Going to Korea has always been a dream of mine. Either because of my Korean roots or my interest towards its leaders I have always work towards this conviction. So it is through this scholarship I plan to reach this dream and become it my reality.
Will you be presenting evidence of your being a Korean War descendant? The reason I ask is because of the heavy focus your paper has on your Korean heritage, despite being a Mexican. I understand that this will make your application quite strong, compared to the other applicants. However, this background does not really provide any interesting and significant experiences, achievements, activities, or other considerations for your application. I do not know if it is because you decided to focus on the descendant aspect, or if it is because there is a real weakness to your information for consideration once the reviewer gets past the Korean war connection.

I do not read any evidence of your familiarity with the Korean culture and working style in a manner that would prove that you were truly raised in the Korean way, based on the family background. It has to go beyond food and character aspects. You should not be telling the reviewer these things, you have to show it within your family background, relationships, education, and work ethic. All of which are sorely lacking in this presentation.
OP AlejandroHz96 1 / 1  
Yes, I have consular confirmation of this heritage as well as birth certificates that supports this.
Thank you for your point of view, I see how the food and traditions are not of interest. However I see quite subjetive how you can tell that you were raised in the korean way.

Home / Scholarship / Being resilient - Personal Statement GKS-G MBA Aspirant