"Right man in the right place"; a best term to describe a principal that I use in broaden my network

vania 7 / 12 2  

Chevening - Networking essay

To broaden and maintain my network, I attempted continuous interaction with my coworker or people whom I was working with. I believe that the concept of "right man in the right place" is a best term to describe a principal that I use in order to broaden my network. I acknowledged people in my circle based on their interest or specialty and managed to include them in a current project that I was working so that I could maintain a continuous relationship. This principal I applied when I was doing a project with my ex-colleagues in 2017 to contribute to my home country through tax.

In 2016-2017, the Government of Indonesia was trying to increase income and investment through tax amnesty. While I was working in the embassy in 2017, I found out that not all people understand or aware about this issue and somehow I also found out that a lot of people don't even report their tax yearly. Surprisingly, in this case, a civil servant of Foreign Ministry didn't report his/her tax regularly because of lack of knowledge or information about it. From that moment I discover an opportunity to give back to my home country through income tax.

To create a network, I share my knowledge and information for a good purpose. I initiated socializations about tax report and tax amnesty to the diplomats and local staffs. I gave them insights about how to report their taxes and information related to tax amnesty and encourage them to report their taxes as soon as possible so that they can gain benefit from the low tax rate. As a result from that socialization, I gained trust from the diplomats and local staffs who some of them asked me to help them in complying tax amnesty and reporting their taxes.

Working in the place that is far from my home country is the first problem that I faced in order to finished this task. The taxation system in Indonesia still involving the tax-payer or authorized party to report the taxes directly to the directorate general of taxes offices presently. Furthermore, the other challenge is the necessity to work professionally and efficiently as a secretary to Deputy Chief of Mission and to keep updated from the recent regulation of Indonesia taxation. To tackle these problems, I use my network that I gained from previous job as a tax consultant.

Having a network that I gained from previous working experience, I involved my ex-colleagues who are tax consultants to help me finish the task that was given in order to report the annual tax report and tax amnesty and to comply with tax regulation. I continuously maintained a good communication with my colleagues and discussed the solutions for the task. Learning from my professional experience encourages me to take a new challenging task on build a great networking at Chevening Community. If become one of a Chevening Scholars, I will use the network to improve collaboration between the scholars from respective countries in order to solve the problems that are exist in each of our respective countries whether it is through entrepreneurship or collaborative works.
Vani,a your essay is just a series of introductions that does not really show the development of a national network, nor does it show how your network has helped you perform your job related tasks effectively. You cannot just keep on explaining how you create a network and what the purpose for that development is. You have to show, at the start, an explanation of how you develop the network, then explain how the network has been useful to you, and finally, how you continue to expand your network. The close of the essay should explain the benefit of including your network in the Chevening community, not an explanation of how you hope to use the Chevening community to do your job.

There is a lack of proper networking development representation when it comes to physical development such as national meetings, seminars, training programs, or continued education settings. You have a good start with the introduction of the tax amnesty program. Then you dropped the ball because you did not explain how your national network became useful to you in this instance. The how and the why of the situation is part of the networking explanation. You never did that in this essay. A network is a series of professional contacts that you connected to yourself in order to get the job done. It should look like a written spider web. Something like:

The Solution is D. In order to achieve that, I contacted A, who was my contact in, who told me that he could help me until X point where he would introduce me to B. B was the one who helped me with the next step in the process. He then passed me off to C to finalize the procedure, resulting in D.

Home / Scholarship / "Right man in the right place"; a best term to describe a principal that I use in broaden my network